SOLVED

Re: Defunct ISPs

Go to solution
Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

Defunct ISPs

I'm looking for a list of now-defunct ISPs (i.e., compuserve?) and potential redirects to new ISPs.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

If your intent is to try to update email addresses that have old email domains to new ones, take it from someone who did this with a few million records back in 2012: it doesn't really help much.

I had an old list of mostly consumer records that I attempted to update (old Southwestern Bell email addresses, Compuserve as you mentioned, regional variants of Ma Bell, discontinued AOL and Yahoo variants, older ISPs that were bought up by Comcast or Charter or what have you, etc.) Here's the thing: trying to fix these domains to see if the accounts were still active nearly always (I'm talking above 99%) no longer active. Generally, when someone has an email address that is discontinued, they've moved on to another provider.

It's just an exercise in frustration.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

For what reason?

Did you try google?

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

If your intent is to try to update email addresses that have old email domains to new ones, take it from someone who did this with a few million records back in 2012: it doesn't really help much.

I had an old list of mostly consumer records that I attempted to update (old Southwestern Bell email addresses, Compuserve as you mentioned, regional variants of Ma Bell, discontinued AOL and Yahoo variants, older ISPs that were bought up by Comcast or Charter or what have you, etc.) Here's the thing: trying to fix these domains to see if the accounts were still active nearly always (I'm talking above 99%) no longer active. Generally, when someone has an email address that is discontinued, they've moved on to another provider.

It's just an exercise in frustration.

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

Thanks you Courtney - that's good insight.