SOLVED

Daily 'Web Services Error' (20023 & 20024)

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Daily 'Web Services Error' (20023 & 20024)

Hi all - Not sure if this is the right place, but I haven't been able to find any similar issues and I was hoping someone may be able to help out.

Every day, we receive web services errors 20023 and 20024 from the SOAP API, which are:

20023 - Rate Limit Exceeded (The number of calls in the past 20 seconds was greater than 100)

20024 - Concurrency Limit Exceeded (The number of concurrent calls was greater than 10)

The descriptions of the errors in Marketo's documentation are pretty self-explanatory, but I'm having trouble identifying the root cause. As far as I know, there isn't anyway to identify exactly what calls are causing these issues to arise.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

2. Is there somewhere to find more information so I can diagnose the root cause?

3. What are the best practices for staying within the Rate/Concurrency limits?

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Daily 'Web Services Error' (20023 & 20024)

Thanks for moving.

This is one of the 2 problems with SOAP vs REST: no auditing of use per client app (the other problem being the root access you grant to your instance).

Best practice is to run all your calls through an API gateway (Apigee, AWS API GW, etc.) to ensure auditing + control. Ironically this is a very low-cost exercise since your daily call limit is so low in the grand scheme.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

Andrew, you should move this to Products (Champions is about the badge/incentive program itself, not support). I'll answer it over there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sanford. Just moved it.

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks for moving.

This is one of the 2 problems with SOAP vs REST: no auditing of use per client app (the other problem being the root access you grant to your instance).

Best practice is to run all your calls through an API gateway (Apigee, AWS API GW, etc.) to ensure auditing + control. Ironically this is a very low-cost exercise since your daily call limit is so low in the grand scheme.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! Do you know how the SFDC sync factors into the API limits?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The SFDC sync using Marketo of the shelf connector does not consume any Marketo API.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Greg beat me to it, but it doesn't​! SFDC sync uses SFDC calls but not Marketo's. So it has to be an outside integration.

Just today I was explaining to an outside service provider that they can't just make calls willy-nilly. What seems like a lot of headroom at first quickly shrinks with successful campaigns (or with bad code).

Adam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Grégoire Michel​ & Sanford Whiteman​ - Thanks again for the help. Good to know that SFDC doesn't use Marketo's calls, that eliminates one source. Our database size and web activity numbers are relatively low compared to previous instances I've worked with, so this is driving me crazy. We are passing information from Segment into Marketo so that has to be the source.

SanfordWhiteman

Yep, has to be that.