Custom Field Inquiry

AndreaL32
Level 2

Custom Field Inquiry

Hello! I am currently trying to complete a re-engagement campaign within our database. The team has created the form and I am trying to set up the parameters within the campaign flow. If a user opts in to receive additional communication from us, a list of newsletter options appear. I want to make sure that when a user opts-in and clicks on a certain newsletter that it gets moved into the right place and updated on the back end. Right now, the custom "newsletter" field only displays true or false not the various newsletter options. What would be the best way to update this? 

AndreaL32_0-1644441167737.png

Thank you! 

17 REPLIES 17
Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

Re: Custom Field Inquiry

It looks like Newsletter is a boolean field, which means that the only values are T/F.  You could potentially use a smart list instead of using the filter, that way you can add constraints such as Newsletter = True and insert other criteria here.

I do have a few questions, where do the newsletter options appear? What ihappens when someone clicks on a newsletter?  Do they get added to different campaigns?  Is there another DVC of somesort?

AndreaL32
Level 2

Thanks, Kaitlyn! On the form, once the user clicks "opt-in" the 6 newsletter options appear underneath to check off which ones they want to be included in and receive. My goal is to have the users who clicked on each newsletter get added to a corresponding list so that I can add it to future newsletters for a more targeted audience.  

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If there are 6 different newsletter options, by definition there can’t be one Boolean to represent them.

Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

You may want to think about making the 6 types of newsletters it's own field that appears only when people opt-in.  It would be a little easier to operationalize from there.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

A string field with a multi-select setting would do the trick as well. But with a boolean field this is not going to work.

I would want to know how the current form set up is done. Sounds like someone has taken a boolean field and set it up as a multi-select, which indeed would be really strange.

AndreaL32
Level 2

Yes, not sure why it was set up as a boolean field. I have changed it to a string field and updated the form to have this new custom field with the correct values. Where would the options be added so there are values available to be selected within the smart campaign? There are none showing up as of right now. 

AndreaL32_0-1644508663937.png

This is how the form is set up. If someone opts in, then these options are shown to choose from. 

AndreaL32_1-1644508979481.png

SanfordWhiteman

You haven’t set any stored values (server values) for any of those options!

The values are structured like:

<friendly name>|<server value>

<friendly name>|<server value>

For example:

General News (monthly)|gennews
Powering Innovations (quarterly)|powinv

Since you’re using Visibility Rules, you need to make sure this whole list is also entered at the parent level (on the form field itself, not just under VRs).

AndreaL32
Level 2

Thank you. I updated that on the form level and the visibility rules but it is still not populating. Is there another place that I should be adding this? I appreciate the help. 

AndreaL32_0-1644611759952.png AndreaL32_1-1644611777245.png

SanfordWhiteman

What do you see in the details of the Filled Out Form activity?