SOLVED

Re: CTA button coding is not tracking the downloads - looking for input on this.

Go to solution
Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

CTA button coding is not tracking the downloads - looking for input on this.

I'm hoping you can help.  Because images don't always show up in email clients, our creative team back end coded this CTA button:

pastedImage_0.png

Here is the code:

<v:roundrect xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" href="http://mrktoa.blueshieldca.com/rs/417-JXY-489/images/A50126_4-17.pdf" style="height: 56px; v-text-anchor: middle; width: 220px;" arcsize="63%" stroke="f" fillcolor="#00ae68">

<w:anchorlock/>

<center>

<![endif]--><a href="http://mrktoa.blueshieldca.com/rs/417-JXY-489/images/A50126_4-17.pdf" style="background-color: #00ae68; border-radius: 35px; color: #ffffff; display: inline-block; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; line-height: 44px; text-align: center; text-decoration: none; width: 320px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: none;" target="_blank">Download details</a><br /><br /> <!--[if mso]>

</center>

</v:roundrect>

I just ran a test and the tracking code is not being applied so Marrketo does not view this/report the link (to the PDF).

Do you have thoughts on how we can use CTA buttons like this in the email and still have Marketo report on the clicks/downloads?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: CTA button coding is not tracking the downloads - looking for input on this.

19 REPLIES 19
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I blogged about​ this exact issue: http://blog.teknkl.com/those-bulletproof-buttons-are-also-tracking-proof/

This one you can give me the "Correct" on.

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

Sanford thank you for sending that link.  The good news is that the button now has the tracking code:
http://pages.blueshieldca.com/P000B0KJHX018h0G0axYdn1

The Email Performance Report seems to be reflecting the clickers.  However the Link Performance Report is not reflecting the clicks to that PDF in that CTA button.

But I set up a smart list and the report is reflecting the clicks.
pastedImage_2.png

So If I wanted to capture the clicks to the PDF that's embedded in that button, then I would have to run a smart list and updated the downloaded Email Link Performance report.

Obviously this creates a lot of extra work for me and is not efficient.  Do you have any additional insight as to how I can have the  clicks (to the target PDF) register in the Email Link Peformance Report automatically?

Thank you.

http://pages.blueshieldca.com/P000B0KJHX018h0G0axYdn1

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'm viewing this page on my iPad, and don't even see a button.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Nevermind - I just realized that the link you provided is the destination URL after clicking the button.

SanfordWhiteman

Try Link [contains]. Also, please show the Activity Log for a lead that clicked the link. Will confirm the full logged URL.

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

I set up a smart list and the testers are showing up; their activity log is registering them as well as clicking the the link; the email performance report reflects that they clicked, but the Link Performance report is not reflecting the people that clicked (#).  So it seems like something is up with the email link performance report not reflecting the links to that pdf. I'm really hoping I don't have to do manual reporting (via smart lists) so that the Link Performance report reflects the # of people that clicked that link.  Thoughts?

SanfordWhiteman

I can't repro this.

Sent a copy of the tracked bulletproof button, and I see it in the ActLog for the lead:

pastedImage_0.png

And in an Email Link Performance report:

pastedImage_1.png

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

The issue is that the Email Link Performance Report is not reflecting the clicks to that PDF embedded in the button (but it will register the clicks to a PDF that is coded.  That's the issue.  Seems like this may need to be escalated to Marketo development team.

Jamie_Barclay
Level 5

Hi Sanford - so did you actually set up an mock email and code for a bulletproof button - then did you send that email to yourself and you clicked the button - and did your action reflect in the Email Link Performance report (as well as your activity log)?