SOLVED

Re: Creating Ungated Landing Page Programs

Go to solution
Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Creating Ungated Landing Page Programs

I want to create ungated landing page programs to help with attribution and tracking. I know we are limited to tracking only known users in our database. 

My main question is can you retroactively associate someone to a campaign if they become known in the future?

For example - each touch has a Marketo program:

Touch 1:  John Doe goes to the ungated page via paid search and does not convert.  

Touch 2: Two days later he comes back to the site via retargeting to view another ungated asset, such as a case study.

Touch 3: He comes back a week later via organic search and converts on a gated trial offer.

Shane Rourke
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi Shane,

Marketo will replay Visit Web Page activities in this case, as soon as Touch 3 upgrades the session from Anonymous to Known.

So you'll see the same VWP logs you would've originally seen had Touch 1 and Touch 2 been from Marketo tracked links (i.e. auto-associated).

(Note in your example, everything is within 90 days, which is good. Other crucial assumptions: the person has cookies enabled, they use the same browser, and the interval between Touch 2 and Touch 3 touch is truly 7 — not 8 or more — days.)

View solution in original post

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Thanks, @SanfordWhiteman

Can you further explain your comment below?

• "The interval between Touch 2 and Touch 3 touch is truly 7 — not 8 or more — days."

I also wanted to clarify that the two ungated pages would each have Marketo programs with a 'visited web page' filter in the smart list. The gated page would also have a program of course. 

Shane Rourke

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

Hi Shane,

Marketo will replay Visit Web Page activities in this case, as soon as Touch 3 upgrades the session from Anonymous to Known.

So you'll see the same VWP logs you would've originally seen had Touch 1 and Touch 2 been from Marketo tracked links (i.e. auto-associated).

(Note in your example, everything is within 90 days, which is good. Other crucial assumptions: the person has cookies enabled, they use the same browser, and the interval between Touch 2 and Touch 3 touch is truly 7 — not 8 or more — days.)

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Thanks, @SanfordWhiteman

• "The interval between Touch 2 and Touch 3 touch is truly 7 — not 8 or more — days."

I also wanted to clarify that the two ungated pages would each have Marketo programs with a 'visited web page' filter in the smart list. The gated page would also have a program of course. 

Shane Rourke
SanfordWhiteman

Here I was getting at Safari's strict ITP policy, which requires that a site be visited frequently for the cookie to stay in the cookie store.

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Last question @SanfordWhiteman, what's your personal opinion on creating ungated LP programs? It doesn't seem worth it especially if you have a large volume of pages and it's hit or miss on the data you collect. 

Shane Rourke
SanfordWhiteman

what's your personal opinion on creating ungated LP programs? It doesn't seem worth it especially if you have a large volume of pages and it's hit or miss on the data you collect. 

It's hard to say 100%, depends on the audience, specific offers, etc.

To me the best creative is one that has a "Just take me to the download" link but manages to have significant conversion rate as well. Lots of AB testing to get that right.

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

@SanfordWhiteman could you expand on why everything happening within 90 days is important? 

Would the lead be removed from a campaign once it surpasses the 90 days? Or is this just saying if they don’t convert within 90 days then the web activity won't be stored?

Shane Rourke
SanfordWhiteman

Or is this just saying if they don’t convert within 90 days then the web activity won't be stored?

This!