Re: Creating a {{my.line-break}} Token

Jennifer_Donahu
Level 2

Creating a {{my.line-break}} Token

In a few sessions at 2019 Summit, there were recommendations of how to set up UTM parameter history campaigns to track the multiple campaigns that are contributing to driving leads. In the screenshots shown, in the flow steps to add a new field value similar to {{system.dateTime}}: {{lead.utm_campaign}} {{my.line-break}}. I've searched and cannot seem to find clear direction on how to create a token for the line-break. Without this, my history fields aren't cumulative and keep overwriting. Anyone have clear instructions on how to set up the line break token in this program?

Thanks!

Jenn

Karen VuongHayley Iacocca

6 REPLIES 6
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

https://blog.teknkl.com/dark-mkto-alleys-line-break-token/

Still a bit technical. But maybe you'll get to hear it from the horse's mouth Sanford Whiteman

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

this is the best method.

Jennifer_Donahu
Level 2

Thanks, folks. I successfully created the line break token and ran a test in a comments field with my own record to confirm that the token is working as intended. Unfortunately, it's not working the way I want to add cumulative UTM history. I've tested a few different campaign links with my own contact record and it's just overwriting the whole value. I will keep digging and engage support if I can't get it working.

Thanks again!

Bryan_Epstein
Level 6

Hi Jennifer, you would accomplish this through concatenation of the field values, which Joe Reitz also described in a separate episode of Marketo-Fu. You could have one UTM parameter for most recent and one for the overall history.

Marketo-Fu - Episode 20: Daisy-Chaining Fields (concatenation of values) - YouTube

I can assist if you have any further questions about setting that up.

Jennifer_Donahu
Level 2

I was working with the example below that Julz James presented in the Schrodinger's Cat presentation (see below). This approach suggested only using a linebreak at the end of the new value. That wasn't working for me.

pastedImage_0.png

I reviewed Joe's method and he includes the current token value in the new value after the token for the data being added to the history. I took a cue from that and added an additional token to the flow steps and now it's working.

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks for helping me piece this together. I'm so grateful for your support.

Cheers,

Jenn

Bryan_Epstein
Level 6

Joe Reitz also goes through this process, as defined by Sanford, on his Marketo-Fu YouTube channel if it works better for you to see a live video of it being done.

Marketo-Fu - Episode 22: Linebreaks for Text Area Fields - YouTube