Solved! Go to Solution.
When a field value on the Company/Account object is changed, all lead records associated to the same Company/Account inside of Marketo will have that change made to them as well. The problem we find is that the Change Data Value activity is only logged on the individual lead record where the change was actually made. All other leads associated to the same Company/Account that got the change due to that association will not show the Data Value Change activity at all.
Since SFDC is the owner of the Account object, the next time it syncs, the value from the SFDC side will overwrite the other value. That's why you don't see the value change to the wrong value but do see the correct value coming down from SFDC.
I have not yet, but I believe it has something to do with how SFDC and Marketo treat accounts vs. company names. We keep a very strict naming convention regarding naming convention in SFDC, e.g., Accenture has to be called Accenture Plc. We also have an account in SFDC where we lump in all un-named accounts, i.e., those who are not our target audience. The issues is that we have different companies under the same account in SFDC, but Marketo is unable to distinguish that. Therefore, every time Marketo syncs with Marketo, it picks a random "account" to use as the company name.
I haven't had a chance to investigate the block field update route. I'm afraid it'll leave our Marketo database with a bunch of random company names, e.g., Accenture, Accenture Plc.
I'm sorry this is probably not very helpful. I'll update this thread if I find a solution to this issue.