2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2017 6:50 AM by Dave Cunningham

[Accounts Tip] Company Name Mismatch

Paul Wilson

Hello MS Dynamics users!

Dan Stevens. brought to my attention this morning a scenario that I had, till now, been unaware of that is important for you to know about. What Dan encountered were records in Marketo that had different Company Name values from the Account Name value stored in MSD. This can cause issues particularly if you have smart lists that look at Company Name in Marketo. For some background I want to show you how the data architecture works in Marketo and how it relates with MSD.

MS Lead Record - a Lead from MSD and its related Marketo record:

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 12.16.12 PM.png

In this relationship any change made to the Company Name field on either record would be conveyed to the related record on the other platform (assuming no security controls in MSD or blocked field updates in Marketo, and no sync filter preventing the update).

MS Contact Record - a Contact and Account from MSD and its related Marketo records:

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 12.39.40 PM.png

** Important to note here ** When a record is a Contact in MSD there is a table in Marketo called Company. This table is related to the Account from MSD and is used for data points like Company Name, Billing Address, Website etc. for the Marketo person records that relate to it. This is an important point to understand: any Marketo person records related to the same Account in MSD because they are Contacts on that Account share the same Company record in Marketo.

In the scenario identified by Dan Stevens. where the Company Name in Marketo did not match the Account Name in MSD that can occur when the Company Name value in Marketo is updated (by a form completion, import, or API call) on ANY of the related Marketo records. That means that if there are 30 Marketo person records related to the Company record they will all have a new Company Name value on their Company Info tab in Marketo. In addition you will see a mismatch between the Company Name seen on the 30 records in Marketo and the Account Name value in MSD. The only way to force a sync that corrects this from the MSD side is to update the Account Name value on the Account.

Change to Company Name on Marketo Record - through a form completion one record changes the Company Name for multiple records

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 12.39.05 PM.png

In the above scenario 2 important things occur: a change that should be isolated to a single record impacts multiple records, and a mismatch on Company Name between Marketo and MSD is created.

How to Prevent

For now I see the only way to prevent this scenario for occurring is to block ANY updates by Marketo on the Company field once it is set. Updates from MSD should be allowed, but none by Marketo. The implication is that the Company value for ALL Marketo records regardless of whether or not they are related to a MSD record becomes a set once on the Marketo side of the equation.

If you have other suggestions please share them here!

Paul Wilson

• Re: [Accounts Tip] Company Name Mismatch
          Dan Stevens.

Paul, thanks so much for documenting my findings and creating this well thought out document to alert other MSD customers of this issue in Marketo.  Just to give some real-life examples here - take this example/use-case:

• Your company does a lot of account-centric marketing (and have paid for Marketo's ABM add-on) - essentially marketing/selling into existing accounts vs. net new ones.  Your database consists of existing MSD contacts within defined/named set of accounts.  Let's take Amazon as one of those accounts - and let's say you have 50 people in Marketo (all MSD contacts, aligned to the Amazon account).  Today, you have a set of specific/personalized tactics (including using Amazon's company name within emails, landing pages, direct mail (print), etc.  Through one of your targeted campaigns, a person (influencer) at Amazon, who is unfamiliar with your company, wants to register for one of the insightful whitepapers you're offering.  He's concerned about giving his legitimate data and instead enters his name/company as "Donald Duck" and "Disney".  As soon as that form is submitted, all 50 of your existing Amazon contacts now have a company name value of "Disney". Even worse, you don't even realize that this happened until AFTER you've executed a personalized campaign (or sent a print run of personalized collateral for a direct mail campaign).  Damage is already done.  As Paul states the only way to fix this is by manually editing the Account in MSD and have it eventually sync/update the records in Marketo.

The major issue as I see it - above and beyond this actual "expected" behavior (according to Marketo) - is how to identify those records in Marketo that get impacted by this.  I uncovered a single instance of this just by chance this past week.  I can't even imagine how many others records in our instance are impacted.

I still need to do some additional testing and run through additional scenarios to see if the preventative approach described above is realistic.  It would be great if there was a way to block field updates on records that are MSD contacts only, but that's not possible.  Need to determine what the ramifications are for MSD lead records and unsynced records.

My question to Paul/Marketo is has this been identified as a known issue (since it doesn't happen on the SFDC side), and if so, what's an ETA for getting this fixed?  [UPDATE]: According to Marketo, this is EXPECTED behavior.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: [Accounts Tip] Company Name Mismatch
              Dave Cunningham

Thank you, Paul/Dan. This is a very helpful explanation.

I agree with Dan in that this is a major issue/flaw with the MSD integration! I can't see how this can be considered "expected behavior"; just look at Dan's example scenario. Looking back, I believe we have noticed this behavior as well while doing some internal testing, but didn't fully understand why it was happening.

Dan Stevens., have you determined if Paul's preventative approach will work for your needs?