Re: Comms Limits Failing

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

Comms Limits Failing

Hello,

Rather a worrying event happened today, we have an API integration that schedules an email to be sent, today it was called mistakenly three times.

Comms limits are set to only allow 1 single email a day. 2 emails were sent and delivered and the third was stopped by comms limits. All emails are non-operational.

Comms limits failed to stop the second email though it did stop the third.

capture-comms-limits.PNG

It would appear that if an email is scheduled at the same time as another email, comms limits fails to stop the send.

Isn't this a bit of a flaw?

6 REPLIES 6
Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

It can take a few minutes between when the last allowed email for the day is sent and the next email is blocked by communication limits.  The request to send the first two emails came in so close together that the campaign flow that sends the second email was not yet aware that the first email had already sent.

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

Thanks for clarifying. Is it a specific time it takes or is it dependent?

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

I've never seen a specific time and it probably can't be tied down.  It would depend on when a lead started moving through a flow to reach a Send Email flow step and check eligibility and how quickly the previous Send Email activity is written everywhere it needs to be.  It essentially can become a race condition.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I have seen comms limits fail as far out as 3-4 hours after the first send.

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

Is that not, umm.. a little worrying?

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It is. I have asked them to do better.

In the meantime, I try to put 3-5 hours between mailings I can control.