SOLVED

Clicks Link on Web Page Trigger - Possible to Use Two Operators?

Go to solution
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Clicks Link on Web Page Trigger - Possible to Use Two Operators?

Hi Everyone,

We use the "Clicks Link on Web Page" trigger for some lead scoring when users download PDFs off the website (Clicks Link on Web Page --> Link Name [Contains] .pdf, screenshot below)

My question is, I want to use the same trigger, but EXCLUDE certain documents from the trigger. I.e., Link Name [Contains] .pdf, but does NOT contain the file name of a list of a few specific documents.

I want to do it this way as there are literally thousands of files we want to score, and only a handful I want to exclude. Maintaining an exclusion list is a whole lot easier than an inclusion list, but with only being able to use either Contains or Not Contains, I can can't do an "includes PDF, but doesn't include XXXXX characters" type rule.

Anyone have thoughts on a way to do this?

marketo-pic.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Clicks Link on Web Page Trigger - Possible to Use Two Operators?

Using constraints is definitely the way to go here. If you have thousands of files, you'll need some javascript in the footer of your pages to automatically append the path as a query string to links ending in .pdf

Then you'll be able to do this:

pastedImage_3.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

then add a smart list or a separate filter

Not Clicked on Web Page XYZ

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Mmm but it's not guaranteed to be the triggering activity being filtered that way.

Unfortunately (short of a webhook) the only way to losslessly run two constraints on the same Clicks Link on Web Page URL is to append the path to the query string. Then you can constrain on both factors at the same time.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Using constraints is definitely the way to go here. If you have thousands of files, you'll need some javascript in the footer of your pages to automatically append the path as a query string to links ending in .pdf

Then you'll be able to do this:

pastedImage_3.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Nice idea.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

This is an awesome idea. I'm going to talk to my devs to see if I can get something like this rolling. Thank you for the idea!

SanfordWhiteman

The code you need is already in my blog post linked above.

Brooke_Bartos1
Level 6 - Champion

Would you be able to accomplish this by adding the Filter of "Not Visited Web Page > URL Contains {{file name}}? It would only cover 90 days though with Marketo's data retention policy, but would that satisfy your criteria?

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

I'm not sure, since that filter would exclude anyone who downloaded a non-focus file in the last 90-days, even if the trigger event itself was valid.