SOLVED

Re: Check for leads with no email activity (no email sends)

Go to solution
RaulEr
Level 4

Check for leads with no email activity (no email sends)

Hi!

I tried using Not Was Send Email = any, but when reviewing the log, all of them have Email Send activities. 

We want to get rid of all old non-marketable leads because we reached our leads limit and want to check if we really need another 100k or just remove records.

Regards,

Raul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

In addition to Jo's considerations, I would be very careful with the Not was Sent any email selection, as these activities are typically only stored for 90 days. So it is well possible these people were actually sent emails in the last year or so, but you simply don't see it any longer.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Darshil_Shah1

Well, do you have any other filter (say visited webpage, Marketable fields etc.) in the smart list in the OR condition that might be letting people sent an email in?

Jo_Pitts1

@RaulEr ,

if they are non-marketable, then why not use THAT as the basis to remove them.  Why use a proxy measure of email sends?

Given that many of them became NON marketable because you've emailed them, and they have unsubscribed, they'll have email sends activity.

If you are looking for an engagement proxy for lead removal (e.g. remove all leads who've not engaged in the past 6 months), then I'd consider using 'visited webpage'.  Email opens and clicks are poor measures of engagement as they are triggered by email scanners (although Marketo does provide an option to try and filter these, I'm not sure how robust it is).  However, you also need to be mindful of data retention issues here.  

Regards

Jo

Katja_Keesom

In addition to Jo's considerations, I would be very careful with the Not was Sent any email selection, as these activities are typically only stored for 90 days. So it is well possible these people were actually sent emails in the last year or so, but you simply don't see it any longer.

RaulEr
Level 4

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don’t really know how many of them are non-marketable. I'm not looking for folks who have unsubscribed to opted-out of any of our emails. I'm trying to find those records that live in our database and haven’t been in any campaign and we haven't sent them any email at all.

So I'm filtering now for records with no email and who are not members of any program. Hopefully, that will cover what I'm looking for.

Darshil_Shah1

Well, If you're using:

"Not was sent Email" is any AND

"Member of Program" false Program is any

AFAIK, I don't see any reason as to why you're seeing people with send email activity qualify for the SL with above filter config.

Also, as highlighted by @Katja_Keesom, please be aware of the fact that Email Send activities are retained for a period of 90 days in Marketo - so even if you see a person in this list chances are there that this person was sent an email in the past before 90 days.

Katja_Keesom

Just a silly question: If you are looking for people who unsubscribed from your communications, why don't you simply search for people with Unsubscribed = true?

Jo_Pitts1

@Katja_Keesom , I think I asked that already.. transpires, that isn't what OP is after.  They are after any person they've never engaged with.

Katja_Keesom

Hey @Jo_Pitts1 , I thought I would double check as Raul's next reply contained this literal text "I'm not looking for folks who have unsubscribed to opted-out of any of our emails." So I'm still a bit fuzzy on which of the two actually is the purpose of the exercise.

Jo_Pitts1

Ahh.. fuzziness... that I can relate to 🙂

I think the text was supposed to be "I'm not looking for folks who have unsubscribed toor opted-out of any of our emails."