Re: Channel based vs. Campaign based tracking

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Channel based vs. Campaign based tracking

Hi folks -

I've been thinking a lot about how we create and track programs in Marketo. Right now, everything is very tactical - we track an email. We track a webinar. We track a gated asset. We track a digital ad. What we do a poor job of doing is tracking these at a campaign level and I'm starting to think that our tracking structure and methodology and naming conventions might be completely wrong.

So I'd love to know how you're all tracking.  Right now, we use a code that's basically Channel-Date-Business-Description.  It works well when you think of everything as a separate campaign and tactic but it does a very poor job of showing overall attribution of a campaign.

What I'm starting to think is more effective is something along the lines of:

Campaign.Channel.Description.Date

Let's say I'm marketing my product line called VividIQ

VividIQ.DigitalAd.Google.TrySomethingNew.Dec2016

VividIQ.Webinar.ProductExpertDemo.Jan2017

Something along these lines, as opposed to

AD-16-12-VividIQ-GoogleTrySomethingNew

WR-17-01-VividIQ-ProduceExpertDemo

And, to that point, when it comes to folders and organization does it make sense to have a folder for Campaigns in addition to channel based tactical folders?

Looking for thoughts, opinions, and examples of what works well.

Robb Barrett
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

So you mean Naming Convention?

Yes, a shorter code based system is better, but more like the one you said last. I've seen firms use outdated "promo" codes as the only descriptor.

I would use the full YYYY-MM-DD.

I would use a Channel, Region, and perhaps Asset code. Ideally you want all of these in the Name or tracked in some way through Programs, Tags, and SFDC Campaigns.

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We've been experimenting with tracking product/application interest.  So it's a bit more long term than a campaign but based on your example of product line, we are using product/application interest scoring.  This allows the tracking of folks and their engagement along a product across multiple channels and assets.  So if someone is downloading a data sheet on VividIQ and then attends a webinar on that product and attends a tradeshow, it aggregates all of that not the product interest score.  It also helps us identify if someone is interested in more than one product and to what degree.  This may or may not be what you are looking for but wanted to just throw that out there for you to chew on. 

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

We have hundreds of products so it becomes tricky and I'm looking to use behavioral scoring more to be an indicator of product interest levels.

Robb Barrett
Eunice_Leung
Level 2

Hi Jessica - We have 6 different product lines with each serves very different product. I am starting to look into multiple-product models in terms of scoring and lifecycle. Would it be possible to hear how you set up the product interest scoring program, and how did you set up the assignment to Sales? And anything else?

Eunice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tricky one. I've seen some larger companies (with inhouse Marketing Analysts) use a code system for all the campaign and channel tracking. I'm a small team so I use Marketo to track channel/asset and SFDC Campaigns for the bigger picture of campaign effectiveness. For a Webinar I may use Marketo programs for the webinar event, email invitations, paid search/advertising for promotion. But then SFDC tracks the campaign effectiveness which is attendees.