Re: Changing Segmentation without Breaking Dynamic Content

Sarah_McMahen
Level 2

Changing Segmentation without Breaking Dynamic Content

Hi!  I am new to Marketo and have a question.  Is there a way to add/edit/delete segmentations without breaking dynamic content? For instance, if we add a location or change a phone number in a footer, we do not want to have to redo all of the image, text, and footer content in hundreds of emails.  Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It sounds like you're mixing together several features in Marketo, which makes your question hard to parse.

Adding new Segmentations doesn't affect any existing part of Marketo. Adding Segments to a Segmentation -- if the Segmentation is in use -- means you have new dynamic content to fork from the Default, but then again that's why you'd add a Segment in the first place. 

In your footer example, if you use a Dynamic Snippet (itself tied to a Segmentation) you can make changes to the Snippet alone and they will take effect everywhere.

BenjaminJacquet
Level 3

I would imagine however, that if you delete a segment from a Segmentation it will wipe away existing dynamic content for it. Although I am doubtful Marketo would allow you to delete it if in use.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Although I am doubtful Marketo would allow you to delete it if in use.

You can delete a Segment even if the Segmentation is in use, and regardless of whether that Segment's dynamic content currently differs from the Default.