Re: CC: Executive Assistant to CEOs from SFDC?

Anonymous
Not applicable

CC: Executive Assistant to CEOs from SFDC?

Hey community,

We have a list of our board members (about 30 people) and they all have executive assistants that handle their event registrations. In the past I have set up 2 programs, one to send to the board members and one to the EAs and it has worked out fine... But, now I am receiving the request from the top that I start CC:ing the executive assistants because the board members would like to know when they receive their version that their assistant also received it.

Soooo. Anyone have any clever ways to cc: the EAs for these board members (I should note: the EAs email is saved as a field on the board members profiles in SFDC.).

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The short answer: you're not going to be able to send a Cc: with Marketo. You can send to additional people, but those are different emails under the hood.

Longer: their whole concept is flawed because they don't know how email works. Just because you see someone in a Cc: line doesn't mean they received their email when you did, or at all. When you see a Cc: in your inbox, it's merely just a cosmetic marker that the email was or will be attempted to be sent to the other person.

On the sender's side, the main technical difference between one email with multiple Cc: entries and multiple emails with To: lines is that some (but not, by any means, all) mail servers will not allow the sender to submit an email at all if any the requested addresses are known to not be routable, like if one address is at a nonexistent domain. This is the exception, not the rule. (It's also probable, though again not guaranteed, that for one unique message body only one connection to a remote mailserver will be made.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have tried to explain how email works but no one is interested in my long winded technical responses, they just want that cosmetic marker! LOL.

Could you expand on "you can send to additional people, but those are different emails under the hood" for me, please?

SanfordWhiteman

Ah yes, the impatient non-technical person who thinks if you can just dig your way through the cold hard facts, their dreams lie at the bottom...

What I meant was you can use Send Alert to send an email to multiple people in the same flow step, based on an originally qualifying person. Of course you can't do this for everyone in a list. Doesn't matter anyway, since it's not a Cc!

If they set up a mailing list that includes all the people, you can then target them all in one shot. It's generally a bad idea to have mailing lists as leads, however, since one member of the list can unsubscribe all of them.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have only 30 people, then these should be personal emails from the corp box of an appropriate person.

It's not worth the effort to explain it up or to do this in Marketo given the requirements.

Chris_Johnston
Level 8

Josh's idea makes good sense. Otherwise I would suggest cheating. In your email (body), include cc: {token EA Name} to show that they have also received it.

Veronica_Holme4

That made me laugh for ten minutes. GOLD!

Navin_Watumull
Level 2

I have a similar question. We use Marketo to email thousands of clients, and we need to dynamically cc the corresponding relationship manager for each client. How can we do this?

I saw a post from 2016 where this functionality was not available. (Can I dynamically cc an email using a token? ) Is it available now?

SanfordWhiteman

Answered on Does marketo support cc and bcc of email ?.  It's better to open a new thread and include links to old ones, or update a single old thread, than to update multiple old threads with the same question, as we will not be able to coordinate answers.

Veronica_Holme4

The product management team flagged at Summit this year that this capability was coming and would be part of Next Gen UX. Considering the number of things that get "promised" all the time but don't quite make the cut for one reason or another I wouldn't make any firm decisions around its arrival, but its the first time I've seen it even flagged as a possible update so that's positive news.