SOLVED

Re: Capture and store utm tags for ananomous leads

Go to solution
Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

Capture and store utm tags for ananomous leads

We would like to be able to track the refferal source of the first visit someone comes to our site, even if they don't fill out a form. 

I know that Marketo currently tracks "Original Referrer" but is there a way to include other information? Such as associating any utm tags with the lead without them filling out a form. 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

If anyone is curious, I was able to solve this by capturing the Google cookie, _utmz, in a hidden field and then parsing it in Salesforce. It is also possible to capture and parse it in javascript and then assign each value to a hidden field.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You will need to create a cookie and jquery to assist munchkin code in doing this. See developer.marketo.com for details.
Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

The developer page doesn't really talk about how to do custom cookies and track additional info about leads. Do you know of any examples that have done this? 

I have no problem writing the javascript to pull the nessesary information that I want to track, I am just not sure how to store data on an anonymous lead. 
Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

If anyone is curious, I was able to solve this by capturing the Google cookie, _utmz, in a hidden field and then parsing it in Salesforce. It is also possible to capture and parse it in javascript and then assign each value to a hidden field.

Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Hey Andrew, is that with the new version of Google Analytics JS (Universal Analytics) or the old code for GA?

Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

This is unfortunately with the old code.