SOLVED

Re: Cap Demographic Score with Flow

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap Demographic Score with Flow

Hello,

I am working on a lead scoring project and have been asked to cap the demographic scores associated with data value changes that fit within our demographic parameters.  IE Job Title changes from VP (+8) to Executive (+9).  We would like the value assigned to Job Title, not to exceed 10, but equal to 9. 

Is there a way to keep the demographic score from going over 10 for the Job Title category?

I really appreciate the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Hollie,

Your problem would be asked otherwise: how do you withdraw the previous job title score value before adding the new one.

It really depends on how you have implemented your scoring.

If you only have 1 scoring field for both behavior and demographic or if you have implemented it the way it's done in Marketo's importable programs, you will have to create a series of smart campaign that test both new and previous value. E.g.:

• data value changes - job title - Previous value contains "VP"
    • Choice:  Job Title contains "Executive" -> +1
    • Choice: Job Title contains "Manage" -> -5
  • Data value changes - job title - Previous value is Executive
    • Choice: Job Title contains VP -> -1
    • Choice: Job Title contains "Manage" -> -6
  • Data value changes - job title - Previous value is empty ->
    • Choice: Job Title contains "Executive" -> +9
    • Choice: Job Title contains "VP" -> +8

I you have to combine multiple titles, it wan become very cumbersome. Let's say you have N possible job titles, N+1 smart campaigns, and in each one, N+1 choices

The alternative is to store the previous value in another fields. Then in your smart campaign, you will first decrease the score based on the previous value, then increase based on the new one, and finally copy the new value to the previous value field. Typically, in your case, the flow will be something such as

1. change score.
    1. Choice: if previous value is VP -> -8
    2. Choice: if previous value is Executive -> -9
    3. ...
  2. Change score
    1. Choice: if job title is Executive -> +9
    2. Choice: if job title is VP -> +8
    3. ...
  3. Change data value - Attribute: Previous Value - New value: {{lead.Job Title}}

This method will break if you decide to change the scoring values.

I personally have stopped using this technique quite a while ago exactly for these reasons. I use a system by which the demo score is a separate field and is recomputed from 0 each time one of the criteria changes, making it much more accurate. The process is to use 1 unique smart campaign with multiple triggers. In the flow, you reset the demo score to 0, then add the exact number of points for each criteria.

-Greg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Sure, use Add Choice + Do Nothing steps to create that condition/cap.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sanford,

You cannot test previous value in a choice. So you will have to store the previous value in a separate field and test both previous and new values.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can test the current value of the field to be incremented in a choice -- from the brief way the question is phrased, if the score is over a certain limit it should not be incremented.

Presuming the conditions for the potential increment would already be in the OP's Smart List, I was only dealing with the Flow part.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Hollie,

Your problem would be asked otherwise: how do you withdraw the previous job title score value before adding the new one.

It really depends on how you have implemented your scoring.

If you only have 1 scoring field for both behavior and demographic or if you have implemented it the way it's done in Marketo's importable programs, you will have to create a series of smart campaign that test both new and previous value. E.g.:

• data value changes - job title - Previous value contains "VP"
    • Choice:  Job Title contains "Executive" -> +1
    • Choice: Job Title contains "Manage" -> -5
  • Data value changes - job title - Previous value is Executive
    • Choice: Job Title contains VP -> -1
    • Choice: Job Title contains "Manage" -> -6
  • Data value changes - job title - Previous value is empty ->
    • Choice: Job Title contains "Executive" -> +9
    • Choice: Job Title contains "VP" -> +8

I you have to combine multiple titles, it wan become very cumbersome. Let's say you have N possible job titles, N+1 smart campaigns, and in each one, N+1 choices

The alternative is to store the previous value in another fields. Then in your smart campaign, you will first decrease the score based on the previous value, then increase based on the new one, and finally copy the new value to the previous value field. Typically, in your case, the flow will be something such as

1. change score.
    1. Choice: if previous value is VP -> -8
    2. Choice: if previous value is Executive -> -9
    3. ...
  2. Change score
    1. Choice: if job title is Executive -> +9
    2. Choice: if job title is VP -> +8
    3. ...
  3. Change data value - Attribute: Previous Value - New value: {{lead.Job Title}}

This method will break if you decide to change the scoring values.

I personally have stopped using this technique quite a while ago exactly for these reasons. I use a system by which the demo score is a separate field and is recomputed from 0 each time one of the criteria changes, making it much more accurate. The process is to use 1 unique smart campaign with multiple triggers. In the flow, you reset the demo score to 0, then add the exact number of points for each criteria.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this, Greg.  I think the type of model you are talking at the end of your reply is the best way to approach the demo score.  I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

adam_benitez77
Level 1

Hi Grégoire,

How do you build in the changes to the overall Person Score? For example, if the Demo Score was 15 and the Person Score is 30, how would you factor in a demographic increase of +10? I get the part where you're saying you would decrease the demo score to 0 in the beginning of the flow and then add the +25 total, but unclear how you account for this in the Person Score.

Thanks.