Re: Can you make selector item non selectable in drop-down list?

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Can you make selector item non selectable in drop-down list?

I have an event that people can register for, but only a number of people can register for each session. Once a session becomes full, I'd like to update the selector... does it make sense to just remove it? My concern with deleting it was there would be a jump from session 5 to session 7, for example. Or, am I able to keep it but make it not selectable?

For now, I changed the wording... but technically people can still select it and submit.

pastedImage_0.png

And, what is best practice? I am sure this has been done before!

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Leanne,

This can be done with some JS that will check the event is full and deactivate the value. It will require to pass the info to the page, though, which is not that easy. The most reliable way of doing it is through a webservice platform that can 1/ track the number of registrants and 2/ be called by the form when it's loading and notify the form to deactivate some values.

If you want to change the numbering dynamically, you will also need some JS.

-Greg

Sanford Whiteman​ Diederik Martens Rajesh Talele

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Ah, I thought it would (but was hoping it wouldn't, ha) require JS. It would be nice if in the Marketo selector editor there was an option to check to deactivate an item from the list.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Disabling the <OPTION> in the dropdown and counting registrants are actually two different concerns. Related, to be sure -- but even if the second is automated the first still requires that the forms behaviors be enhanced.

You don't have to write the JavaScript, though, since I just did for you.

Just change the Display Value in Form Editor:

pastedImage_2.png

Then include the tiny bit of JS demoed here:

MktoForms2 :: Disable Options

This one is really cool !

-Greg

Kevin_Stinson
Level 3

Hi Sanford

I have tried this code out but I can't get it working. The form displays  [DISABLED] in the select field and it is selectable. See image:

pastedImage_1.png

I dropped the javascript in the head of a Marketo landing page and put the form on the page.

Am I missing a step?

thanks,

Kevin.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can't go in the head, for one. On a Marketo LP, forms JS needs to go just before the end of the body 

Kevin_Stinson
Level 3

Thanks Sanford that change made it work.

sliang20
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman is the javascript you provided still usable? I've added it to my landing page template but the value still appears and it's not grayed out.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 10.45.31 AM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Greg,

Leanne, the following article shows somewhat similar functionality implemented on a Marketo landing page.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/marketo-tip-automatically-cap-registrations-any-form-part-mba-6104062...

This allows to actually 'disable' the registration form? or display 'real time ' message on the registration page when the registration is full?

You might be able to use a version of this setup for your requirements.

Hope this helps...

Rajesh Talele