Re: Can you have a forced ranking question in Marketo forms?

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Can you have a forced ranking question in Marketo forms?

If I would like a customer to rank their preferences in order from 1-5, then can I force the ranking within Marketo's form functionality?

For example, listing products in order of preference from 1-5, with no repetition.

If it's possible, it's not obvious to me. Any help would be great!

Thanks, Phil

18 REPLIES 18
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

[Q should be in Products.]

Not clear on what you want the form to look like.  Almost anything can be done but a mockup is going to be necessary here.

Phillip_Wild

Hi Sanford

Ideally it would be something like this - although the UX could vary:

Rank the below countries from 1-6, with 1 being the product you are most interested in, and 6 being the product you are least interested in:

* Belize (field next to this which could hold the number 1-6)

* Vietnam (same as above)

* Tanzania (same as above)

* Australia (same as above)

* Cambodia (same as above)

* Thailand (same as above)

You get the idea. Basically, with checkboxes you can't differentiate between the choices in terms of a preference. If you force a ranking, you can.

Hope that helps! Thanks.

Phil

SanfordWhiteman

What is the user experience if they've filled in "4" for Cambodia, and then type "4" for Thailand?

How do you want the values stored?  As one field that's an ordered array of country names, or as multiple fields, one for each country, w/the numeric rank as the value?

Phillip_Wild

They shouldn't be allowed to enter the same number for multiple countries.

Storage - not too bothered. I guess as one ordered array, but whatever does is easier to implement on the front end.

SanfordWhiteman

I think the UX is going to be easier (to build and comprehend!) if you have radio buttons for the rank (each field can be ranked 1-{number of fields}). A grayed-out radio is IMO a lot easier to understand than a number that refuses to be typed in a textbox.

SanfordWhiteman

The radio button approach seemed not quite right. Though I did come up with this curious widget for use somewhere else.

Instead, I implemented some tiny up/down sorting logic that does the job: MktoForms2 :: Sort Options w/Arrows

In theory, drag-and-drop would be the way to go. But it's interesting how certain UI features have made their way into web apps but still aren't familiar enough to fit on a public form.  (This is also a self-fulfilling prophecy, since marketers don't want their leads to be the guinea pigs for semi-advanced form experiences, so they restrict themeselves to a small pool of possible inputs.)

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

That's brilliant work Sandy!

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks Justin Norris​!

Phillip_Wild

Wow, that's great Sanford Whiteman​! Although I do agree with you - a drag and drop would be ideal, but it doesn't seem to be on the horizon for Marketo

In the meantime, this solution is great! Thank you.

Phil