Re: Can you embed a Marketo form into a Wistia hosted video?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you embed a Marketo form into a Wistia hosted video?

Is there a way to embed a Marketo form into Wistia videos instead of using the default wistia form? We have a shared instance and would like to included hidden fields, etc.

11 REPLIES 11
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Julie,

This would be a question you'd want to ask Wistia.  The embed code is just a piece of javascript that you can drop anywhere you want the form to load.  The question would be whether or not Wistia allows you to put scripts in the videos, or replace their standard form with one of your own.

I'd be interested to know what they say if you don't mind responding here.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks John, I will let you know what they come back with.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Julie Scotland​ I've done this with a Vidyard form, so if Wistia has a similar HTML frame that appears as part of the video player, I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Justin, we had trouble embedding the form so I am discussing the possibility with a Wistia rep on Monday. Will report back to the group once I find out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

****UPDATE: We just tested the HTML embed and it did not work. At this point we are still waiting to see if the Wistia team has any other options. John Clark​****

Hi John,

Here is the response I received from Wistia:

"Thanks for reaching out! I'd recommend using our Custom HTML Call To Action to embed a Marketo Form in your video. Here is our help page on creating a Call To Action:http://wistia.com/doc/customizing-your-video#call_to_action. When you add your Call to Action, select 'HTML' in the dropdown list next to 'Type'.

The only caveat with this is that it won't collect any Action stats in Wistia, since HTML Calls To Action allow for advanced customizations (which could lead viewers away from our stats servers). That being said, you should still be able to track your form entries on the Marketo side."

We tested this but it did not work. I also spoke with our account rep today and he said that right now there isn't an ideal solution for embedding Marketo forms - in the meantime our rep is going back to his team to see if he can find a better option.

I hope that helps, I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

Julie

John_Clark1
Level 10

That's Great!

Thank you for letting us know the result.  I'm sure it will come in handy for others.

John

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don't think that's the Correct Answer since I just got it to work in under 5 minutes.

See CodePen - MktoForms2 :: Wistia

At 4.5 seconds on the timeline, I have it overlaying a Marketo form.

pastedImage_4.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for sharing!  We just tested this again but sadly dropping in the Marketo form embed code didn't work for us. We saw that you had added custom code to solve for this but even with that we couldn't get the "skip form" function to work (another thing we would have to customize on the backend). While we could probably hack this to work on a website it leaves the form very vulnerable and could be a nightmare when it comes to mobile. Still waiting to hear from Wistia to see if their team has any better options. In the meantime we are going to stick with their forms.

Thanks again for sharing!

Julie

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I didn't use any custom code at all.  That's just the standard embed code.

To fix the "skip" you'd need to use the Wistia API: by definition, there would be no other way to trigger the form to hide in reaction to an event fired on the video player. I updated the demo accordingly.

I don't really know what you mean by "vulnerable" -- the mobile-friendliness of the form is going to be the same with or without Wistia. I can't imagine that Wistia cares to do anything more to integrate a 3rd-party form builder whose ins and outs are unknown (to them).