SOLVED

Re: Can't update specific record due to Duplicate email address

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Can't update specific record due to Duplicate email address

Hello,

I am tasked with updating a data value (Shore Ex Code) on around 2K records in Marketo.

I have been provided an excel document with the list of contacts whose records need to be updated.

The problem I am running into is that some email addresses have duplicate records.

Case in point:

This person below signed up for two GVR accounts using the same email address.

They were assigned a unique Member ID for each account via our CRM and then added to the GVR Person Partition in Marketo:Guitarrista82_0-1669762008792.png

In the excel doc I was provided (see below), the record with Member ID GVR06288EHZ should be assigned the Shore Ex Code in Marketo:

Guitarrista82_1-1669762272912.png

However, when I uploaded the excel doc to Marketo, the account with Member ID GVR34921EMZ was updated with the Shore Ex Code.

Is there any way for me to ensure that when dealing with duplicate email addresses, a specific record is updated and not a different one?

Thank you,

LK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can’t target one specific person record using a standard UI-based list upload and default dedupe rules.

You can target the record in 2 ways:

• using an API-based list upload, which can lookup on a custom field
  • calling a webhook call to a service that can match people based on a custom field (you pass the webhook your {{lead.Member ID}} and it looks that up in a spreadsheet/file/local list/whatever)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

You can’t target one specific person record using a standard UI-based list upload and default dedupe rules.

You can target the record in 2 ways:

• using an API-based list upload, which can lookup on a custom field
  • calling a webhook call to a service that can match people based on a custom field (you pass the webhook your {{lead.Member ID}} and it looks that up in a spreadsheet/file/local list/whatever)
Guitarrista82
Level 6

Hi Sanford,

Thank you!

I have no idea how to do an API-based list upload.

How would I go about doing this?

SanfordWhiteman

You’d be using the Bulk Import endpoint but to be clear, you need to be or have a developer. It’s one of the easiest endpoints to use, but it’s still a dev task.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Got it. We do have a developer that can assist.

Thanks again for your help,

LK