SOLVED

Re: Can I sync a custom Campaign Object field?

Go to solution
Nancy_Rosentha5
Level 2

Can I sync a custom Campaign Object field?

We have added a new custom campaign object field, Vendor into SFDC.  How can I sync this field to Marketo?  Is this only possibly by also relating this object to Lead, Contact or Account, which doesn't necessarily make sense in this case?

Tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Your supposition is correct. You can't use Campaign-level objects to store per-campaign-membership data.

View solution in original post

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

In the end, you'd need to do stuff in Salesforce because Marketo doesn't access any of the Campaign Object custom fields.

A non-Apex suggestion, when you create the Salesforce campaign sync in Marketo, if you're not using the description field for anything else...

- put the vendor name into the description.

pastedImage_1.png

- create a workflow rule on the campaign object

pastedImage_2.png

- create a field update rule for the vendor field that equals the value of the description field

pastedImage_4.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Your supposition is correct. You can't use Campaign-level objects to store per-campaign-membership data.

Nancy_Rosentha5
Level 2

any creative ideas on how to pass along a campaign related field in one of the Marketo sync objects, i.e. person, contact or account, for something like vendor?  Maybe it's all in the Campaign Name combined with the channel type, while ensuring strict naming conventions?

SanfordWhiteman

I make very deep use of Text Areas fields (directly on the person) that store multidimensional JSON data. This can in turn be unfolded into live objects in SFDC using Apex.

JP_Kato
Level 1

Can you give more detail??

Tyron_Pretorius
Level 8 - Champion

@SanfordWhiteman linking this post here: https://blog.teknkl.com/marketo-json-fields-in-velocity/

Since I think it will be helpful to others so they can see examples and read about the pros and cons e.g. not being able to use the "contains" keyword with JSON formatted strings in Marketo

Tyron Pretorius
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

In the end, you'd need to do stuff in Salesforce because Marketo doesn't access any of the Campaign Object custom fields.

A non-Apex suggestion, when you create the Salesforce campaign sync in Marketo, if you're not using the description field for anything else...

- put the vendor name into the description.

pastedImage_1.png

- create a workflow rule on the campaign object

pastedImage_2.png

- create a field update rule for the vendor field that equals the value of the description field

pastedImage_4.png