Can I match a list upload against Salesforce ID?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I match a list upload against Salesforce ID?

When I'm uploading a list, can I match against SFDC ID as the unique identifier?

We have a lot of duplicates in our Marketo instance, so we run most list uploads and list updates through Salesforce. But this makes us reliant on our overloaded SFDC team, and it would be much faster if we could upload list updates directly to Marketo.

In this case, I have a list of SFDC IDs (unique identifiers in both Salesforce and Marketo) along with email addresses and custom values that I want to map into emails -- call that Column C.

Normally when I upload a list into Marketo, it matches against email address. Would it be possible to match against SFDC ID instead? And how would I do that?

5 REPLIES 5
Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Can I match a list upload against Salesforce ID?

Hi Andrew,

Marketo only matches on email address. I do know that if you absolutely need to match on a different field you can get support and Marketo engineering involved to switch the unique identifier temporarily and switch it back.  However, I always recommend lead uploads to go through Marketo vs SFDC.  SFDC does not  dedupe on email and can be a culprit in causing duplicates.  If you want to match on SFDC ID, you should do the upload in SFDC.  I would recommend getting to the source of multiple sources of the duplicates and mitigate that through both processes and implementation of tools.  Lots of people use ringlead to prevent dupes on a number of levels. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

API-based uploads can be set to dedupe on fields other than Email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very difficult to do because Marketo actually appends the SFDC ID with 3 more characters at the end of each ID, so the 15-char value in SFDC is actually an 18-char value in Marketo. This is because Marketo can't tell the difference between upper case and lower case. In SFDC, you can have an ID that's 0000011111222ae, and another one that's 0000011111222aE, and they would be treated as two different records. Marketo would treat those as duplicates so it adds random strings at the end.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

15- and 18-character IDs are both SFDC official variants, not Marketo's idea.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi All,

Vote here:

-Greg