SOLVED

Can I link something to the Web Version of my email?

Go to solution
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Can I link something to the Web Version of my email?

Hi all,

Is it possible to link something to a web version of my email with a URL that does not have the additional tracking code? I sent myself a sample test and tried to take the following URL from the text version of my email (excluding the mkt_tok munchkin tracking code):

pastedImage_0.png

However, whenever I try to open in another window, the following message appears:

pastedImage_1.png

Is it possible to use a generic View as a Web Page URL, and to successfully use it as a link in an article that's stored outside Marketo (Ex: an article stored on our website)?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Kerlin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can I link something to the Web Version of my email?

Then you'll just get an error as the mkt_tok is used to find the email content.

If you want to "burn" a copy of Web Page View to a URL w/out a query string, you can use ShareMaker, but what's the specific reason you want to eliminate the query string? If you create a dummy lead to represent the shareable web view, you can use its mkt_tok and not get in anybody else's way.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tom,

Do do this, you will have to replace the Marketo View as web page mechanisms. This is the way to do it:

1. Deactivate the default in admin->email (replace the default values here is HTML comments:
    pastedImage_1.png
  2. avoid using the {{system.viewaswebpage}} token in your email and have your web page URL instead.

-Greg

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Greg,

What would happen if I just removed the following from existing code (below): mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK## ?

<div style="text-align: center"><font face="Verdana" size="1">To view this email as a web page, <a href="%mkt_webview_url%?mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##">click here</a><br /><br /></font></div>

Tom Kerlin
SanfordWhiteman

Then you'll just get an error as the mkt_tok is used to find the email content.

If you want to "burn" a copy of Web Page View to a URL w/out a query string, you can use ShareMaker, but what's the specific reason you want to eliminate the query string? If you create a dummy lead to represent the shareable web view, you can use its mkt_tok and not get in anybody else's way.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sandy, can you provide more info on ShareMaker?  We're building out a pseudo email repository and would like to provide web versions of the emails for our country marketers to view.  Would this support a use-case like this?

SanfordWhiteman

Sorry for the wait, Dan...

SM is a very niche microservice: you pass it a web view URL (w/the usual mkt_tok) and it burns a static HTML page -- basically an instant LP -- from that. Then depending on some query params, it either redirects you to a Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn social share dialog with the burned page URL pre-filled and ready to share, or redirects you to the burned page itself.

I didn't really conceive of it as a tool to directly be run by admins (as opposed to by leads that want to socialize your content), though certainly if you send an email or alert to yourself, you can freely run it.  The burned page URLs are totally independent, though -- that is, there's no sense of an online library of all the pages burned under your API key. Something I've thought of for sure. But right now you'd need to burn a copy and then share the URL yourself in a central location.

On the other hand, the ShareMaker "infrastructure" (it's very simple) is probably due to be folded into FlowBoost as a Pro feature, rather than being something standalone to maintain.

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Is this still active? Can you help me understand how we can use the Sharemaker app?

SanfordWhiteman

It is still active, Rachit (though not in wide use, to put it lightly!). Are you thinking of using it for social sharing?

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

No, we want to create a non-tokenised version of the page which we get when we click the 'View as web page' link in the emails.

SanfordWhiteman

You mean that no one will get the mkt_tok-enized version?