SOLVED

Can Email delivery status be synced to Salesforce from Marketo ?

Go to solution
MMundra1
Level 3

Can Email delivery status be synced to Salesforce from Marketo ?

Hello All,

My client has created an "Is Email suppressed" checkbox and "Suppression Reason" fields into their SF privacy protal page. I just wanted to know do we have any triggered logic that can be created in Marketo to check the Email suppression, which can be mapped to the newly created SF fields ?  

Mahak Mundra
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Can Email delivery status be synced to Salesforce from Marketo ?

Before you go into the details of how to set up these Smart Campaigns, I would recommend to take one step back and really think about what Darshil said.

-> Unsubscribed

-> Marketing Suspended

-> Email Invalid

-> Email Suspended

-> Blocklisted

These statuses have meaning. Some are being set by Marketo systematically, and some are set by you. But either way: They should stay different. It doesn't make much sense - at least in my view - to do something like: "If Email Suspended = TRUE, set Email Invalid = TRUE".

And after thinking about and understanding these different concepts, it's time to think about which of these statuses you will want to make visible for Salesforce. Do you want to show "Marketability" to Sales? That would be a mixture of subscription status, email validity, not being suppressed as a result of your company's choices, not being blacklisted because they are competitors, and so on.

Or do you define "Marketability" by looking at engagement or non-engagement? Person was active - clicked, opened, visited web sites, submitted forms and so on - in the last 180 days? And if not active, you would remove from active marketing?

After answering these strategic question, you can think about syncing to Salesforce.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Your question seems to mix different concepts.

"Email delivery status" would refer to whether email(s) were successfully delivered. "Suppression" would refer to not even attempting to send emails, for a wide variety of reasons. It isn't clear how you're trying to relate these areas.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Agreed with Sandy, the question title and description don't seem to be related. By Email Delivery Status, did you mean if an email could be Sent or not? FYR - Deliver and Send are two vastly different terms in Marketo and should not be used interchangeably.

If you want to sync the marketability status of a person over to the SFDC field(s), then you could run a batch campaign to update the existing records and create a trigger campaign setup to keep the synced field up to date as and when a person's marketability changes.

Below are the fields that determine if a person is marketable or not - 

-> Unsubscribed

-> Marketing Suspended

-> Email Invalid

-> Email Suspended

-> Blocklisted

You could also consider people w/o email address as non-marketable as well. 

Hope this is helpful and let us know if you were looking for something else. 🙂

MMundra1
Level 3

Hello @SanfordWhiteman @Darshil_Shah1 , thank you so much for your valuable inputs and correcting me.

As you predicted right, I need to sync the marketability status of a person over to the created SFDC field(s) which includes the following:

1. Is Email suppressed (checkbox - Yes/No)

2. Suppression Reason

3. Email suppression last updated date

MMundra1_0-1675749635735.png

I have created a logic for Email Invalid attribute which should sync the data in the above SFDC fields and would really be helpful if anyone among you can give a quick check of the logic created as currently I don't have SFDC UAT access to do the validation.

Smart List (Use ALL Filters)
Data Value Changes - Email Invalid - New Value is True

Is Email suppressed - New Value is True
Email Bounced Date is Empty (want to exclude any email address that have already been flagged in SFDC)

MMundra1_1-1675756104313.png

Flow (Lead Can Run Through Everytime)
Change Data Value - Email Bounced Date - New Value is {{system.dateTime}}
Change Data Value - Suppression Reason - New Value is {{lead.emailInvalidCause}}

MMundra1_0-1675756079020.png

Mahak Mundra
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Before you go into the details of how to set up these Smart Campaigns, I would recommend to take one step back and really think about what Darshil said.

-> Unsubscribed

-> Marketing Suspended

-> Email Invalid

-> Email Suspended

-> Blocklisted

These statuses have meaning. Some are being set by Marketo systematically, and some are set by you. But either way: They should stay different. It doesn't make much sense - at least in my view - to do something like: "If Email Suspended = TRUE, set Email Invalid = TRUE".

And after thinking about and understanding these different concepts, it's time to think about which of these statuses you will want to make visible for Salesforce. Do you want to show "Marketability" to Sales? That would be a mixture of subscription status, email validity, not being suppressed as a result of your company's choices, not being blacklisted because they are competitors, and so on.

Or do you define "Marketability" by looking at engagement or non-engagement? Person was active - clicked, opened, visited web sites, submitted forms and so on - in the last 180 days? And if not active, you would remove from active marketing?

After answering these strategic question, you can think about syncing to Salesforce.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I agree with @Michael_Florin! Do you only want to consider the Email Invalid field to update the synced fields? Marketo determines a person's marketability in terms of values in all the marketable fields (bulleted by me and Michael in our earlier replies). IMO, it'd make sense to have the Marketability in your CRM defined by the same set of fields/logic as Marketo.

In your smart campaign's SL, I don't understand the logic behind using the Is Email Suppressed = TRUE in the filter; I was under the impression that you'd update the "Is Email Suppressed" field based on the values in Marketo's marketability field(s) as you want to sync the marketability status from Marketo over to the SFDC. If that's not the case, how are you updating the "Is Email Suppressed" field? Do you have a separate campaign setup for it? Also, if you're using Email Bounced Date, I think it'd make more sense to use the Email Bounced filter (can use the trigger as well, if you need immediate updates) instead of the Email Invalid field in the trigger.

Lastly, I agree with Michael on focusing on the business case and pan out  the strategy for this before jumping into the campaign setup. If you could help us with exact detail on what you're trying to acheive then we could  provide some  recommendations on what fields you should consider to update the "Is Email Suppressed" field (e.g.,  syncing marketability from Marketo to SFDC so salesusers know who they should reach out and who they shouldn't, etc.). I hope this helps and makes sense. Please let us know if you have questions or if I'm missing anything here. 🙂