SOLVED

Bulk Import Based on Marketo Lead ID

Go to solution
Andrew_Burch
Level 1

Bulk Import Based on Marketo Lead ID

Long time lurker, first time poster... so, please be patient with me. 

I'm working with our developers to beef up our initial Marketo + CRM sync and incorporate Marketo lead ID's. Ideally we would like to use the Bulk Import API with Marketo's Lead ID being the primary key (no longer email) hoping this new method would correct email address changes. We just ran a test and it doesnt seem like the Bulk Import API incorporated the Marketo Lead ID at all. Does the Bulk Import API only use email address? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Bulk Import Based on Marketo Lead ID

When you say format the payload correctly, do you mean the actual API call or the format of the CSV file we're sending as part of the bulk import?

Both.

...as long as the field names of the CSV match up with what is in Marketo's API names it should work.

That's correct but the lookup key needs to be set in the URL as well.

https://{{Marketo.Munchkin}}.mktorest.com/bulk/v1/leads.json?format=csv&lookupField=id

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Bulk Import absolutely supports Lead ID as the lookup key. Of course you need to format the payload correctly, so you'd need to show what you sent to Marketo.

Andrew_Burch
Level 1

Hey Stanford! Thank you for the reply--and thank you in general for all your replies to the forum! We've never met, but I've learned a lot from you!

When you say format the payload correctly, do you mean the actual API call or the format of the CSV file we're sending as part of the bulk import? I'm hearing from my dev that he was told as long as the field names of the CSV match up with what is in Marketo's API names it should work.

SanfordWhiteman

When you say format the payload correctly, do you mean the actual API call or the format of the CSV file we're sending as part of the bulk import?

Both.

...as long as the field names of the CSV match up with what is in Marketo's API names it should work.

That's correct but the lookup key needs to be set in the URL as well.

https://{{Marketo.Munchkin}}.mktorest.com/bulk/v1/leads.json?format=csv&lookupField=id

Andrew_Burch
Level 1

Thank you Sir! This did the trick!