SOLVED

Bulk Editing Tags and/or Archive Folders

Go to solution
nhabischWings
Level 5

Bulk Editing Tags and/or Archive Folders

Hello,
A bit of a two-fold question here - We're working on setting up a process to pull program data through an API call utilizing tags and I was curious on a few things in terms of setting up a process to make this work in a usable way:

1. As far as I can see, there's no way to bulk update a tag outside of an API call - Is this still the case?

2. I'm assuming this is not the case, but I was curious if using Archived Folders prevents an API call from pulling that data? Or is it really only affecting the Marketo UI search?

For more specifics, we're using program ID to pull in audiences and using a tag to look at relevant programs that we need. So I'm looking for a way to be able to change program tags or prevent that program from being visible after a certain point without having to do it manually 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Bulk Editing Tags and/or Archive Folders

1. As far as I can see, there's no way to bulk update a tag outside of an API call - Is this still the case?

Yes, AFAICT, that's still the case. You need to use the Update Program REST API to update the program using its ID. This is still one program update-at-a-time, but you can of course automate this process if you have/GET all the program IDs first.

2. I'm assuming this is not the case, but I was curious if using Archived Folders prevents an API call from pulling that data? Or is it really only affecting the Marketo UI search?

Yes, you can update an archived program's tag(s) using the program create/update API endpoint! However, be mindful of the below pointers:

• The tagType and tagValue must exist in the Admin > Tags for the update to be successful. 
  • Use application/x-www-form-urlencoded as the Content-Type
  • You may run the call with no tags parameter to return existing tags. 
  • The Update Program Metadata call is destructive, i.e., if you do not include existing non-required tags then those tags will be deleted in the successful call.

And, yes, you can also GET the program data irrespective of it being Archived or not- w/o the "Search in Archived Folders" filter selected (it's not selected by default), you'd only be able to seach non-archived assets! However, you can GET/Update assets/programs using their respective endpoints irrespective of them being archived or not.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1702350390115.png

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have questions!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1

Yes, AFAICT, that's still the case. You need to use the Update Program REST API to update the program using its ID. This is still one program update-at-a-time, but you can of course automate this process if you have/GET all the program IDs first.

Yes, you can update an archived program's tag(s) using the program create/update API endpoint! However, be mindful of the below pointers:

• The tagType and tagValue must exist in the Admin > Tags for the update to be successful. 
  • Use application/x-www-form-urlencoded as the Content-Type
  • You may run the call with no tags parameter to return existing tags. 
  • The Update Program Metadata call is destructive, i.e., if you do not include existing non-required tags then those tags will be deleted in the successful call.

And, yes, you can also GET the program data irrespective of it being Archived or not- w/o the "Search in Archived Folders" filter selected (it's not selected by default), you'd only be able to seach non-archived assets! However, you can GET/Update assets/programs using their respective endpoints irrespective of them being archived or not.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1702350390115.png

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have questions!

nhabischWings
Level 5

No additional questions, but thank you for the details and the help!

Darshil_Shah1

You are very welcome, @nhabischWings!