Blocking field update from SFDC desynchronizes SFDC and Marketo

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Blocking field update from SFDC desynchronizes SFDC and Marketo

I am observing the following behavior :

• The field lead source is has a "block update from" setting with many sources, and especially Salesforce.
  • I set a value in this field in Marketo for a given lead. Upon sync, that new value is pushed to SFDC.
  • Now if I go to SFDC and change the value. ON next sync, that new value is not updated in Marketo, which is expected,
  • BUT the second value stays in SFDC, leading to a desynchronized field value between Marketo and SFDC.

Are you observing the same ?

Is this an expected behavior ?

Then I have pushed the test a little further : I updated the lead source field again in Marketo (with a more recent value than in SFDC). On following sync, SFDC was updated with the same value as Marketo.

-Greg

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Blocking field update from SFDC desynchronizes SFDC and Marketo

Yes, that's the expected behavior.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Agree.

As long as the field isn't critical, it won't break the rest of the sync, just that value. It would be better to lock the field in SFDC from manual (casual) changes and then uncheck the field block in Marketo (although that's not necessary).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi @Josh & Sanford,

Sure, yet, blocking a field only when it contains a value is not easy in salesforce. It can be done only with a validation rule, you will have to still authorize some users, which will require a complex validation rule and yet some cases will be complex to handle in case you still need to update it.

The behavior, IMHO, would be more consistent if Marketo was also enforcing SFDC to keep the unchanged value.

-Greg