Re: Auto fill forms from email clicks?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto fill forms from email clicks?

I may be missing this completely, but is is possible to auto-fill a form if the lead has never been to our website BUT Marketo has their info.

For example, we import a list of leads from a trade show, and send them into a stream.

If someones clicks on that email, and arrives on a landing page, wouldn't it make sense that Marketo recognizes the lead that clicked and auto-fills that form with the person's data (name title, email, etc.) Is that already possible, if so, does it require adding token info into the form settings?

It seems silly that this wouldn't be an option. If we are sending an email to someone, we already have their info, so we should pre-fill the form for them. So all they have to do is click

Send HALP

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Hi Rachel,

If someone clicks a link in your Marketo email and it directs to a Marketo landing page, the form should pre-fill with the user's info. Are you experiencing different behavior?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Conor,

Thanks for the response.

I tested it by sending an email to myself (because my info is in Marketo) but opened the email in an Incognito window, to see if the form would auto-fill without me being cookied. But it did not.

Any advice?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Rachel, if Form Pre-fill is turned on (in Form Editor field setup and on the LP level and in Admin >> Landing Pages) and you're on a Marketo-hosted LP, then it will work as you describe.  Make sure you fulfill all those requirements.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

I re-checked both of those requirements and I am good to go. I just mentioned to Conor (above) that I tested it by sending an email to myself (because my info is in Marketo) but opened the email in an Incognito window, to see if the form would auto-fill without me being cookied. But it did not.

Any advice?

SanfordWhiteman

Did you open the tracking link (with mkt_tok at the end)?

If you open a standard tab (non-Incognito) of course it should work as well -- that doesn't impersonate the real user experience, but if it doesn't work even then you have a problem.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

If you click a link in a Marketo email that is pointing to a Marketo Landing Page, then the form will pre-fill if the lead is already cookied. If the lead is not cookied (which is the case in your incognito window example), then the lead will be correctly cookied and identified as the lead the email was sent to, but the form will not pre-fill until subsequent page loads. The form pre-fill logic is based on a cookie being present and we don't automatically re-load the page after the user is cookied.

SanfordWhiteman

Justin, I don't think this is quite true.  When we send links to Marketo-hosted LPs, forms -- as in Marketo form widgets, not freeform JS that just happens to embed a form -- consistently prefill with totally unprimed browsers.  (Of course this does not work with mktNoTok on the link.)

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Actually, you are correct, I was thinking about personalized URLs, not plain old link clicks.

This should always work in an incognito window. You're 100% sure it's a Marketo-hosted landing page? Did you try same link in any other browsers? I will look into this a bit more.

SanfordWhiteman

Glad I wasn't going crazy. My thought was that Rachel might be copying the raw link text from the email instead of the actual tracking link href (because it isn't easy to make a clickable link open in Incognito mode).