SOLVED

Re: Assigning unique survey links to each unique email recipient in an email campaign

Go to solution
aafridi
Level 2

Assigning unique survey links to each unique email recipient in an email campaign

Hi,
We are working on a survey email for which I have to assign unique links to each unique email address. I have around 60,000 unique links to be assigned to a similar number of audience from a larger list. Do I have to download the entire list in excel, add each unique list to each email and then upload it, and then assign tokens? It seems to be a very time consuming exercise; is there any other way how I can assign unique links to unique emails.

I have also gone through a few support links but these dont answer my full concern. Here are the links that I found https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/unique-urls-in-emails/m-p/65943, https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/customer-survey-pulling-unique-links-into-email-li... https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/how-to-associate-1-unique-link-per-1-unique-email-...
I am a bit new in marketo so I would request if full details are shared.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Assigning unique survey links to each unique email recipient in an email campaign

Well... you don't need to "assign" tokens. A {{lead.token}} will be available for your custom field as soon as you create it in Field Management.

If you have the unique values in a CSV, you could use a webhook to pull a value off the list onto the lead record and store a pointer to the last position in the list. However, this is a task for a developer, largely b/c of the need to store a pointer. In the absence of a developer, exporting and reimporting the list is going to be the only method available. What do you mean by "hectic"?

View solution in original post

Michael_Florin
Level 10

What's your survey tool? If it is Qualtrics, the unique survey link association with the Marketo database happens there. And I suppose the same could be true for any survey tool. Have you checked the integration capabilities in your tool?

aafridi
Level 2

Thanks for sharing the details. For using the webhook option, if possible, could you share any resource link that I can relate to?  

Peter_Rytter
Level 2

As Sanford mentions, if you simply have one unique link per contact at any given time - you should be fine just uploading this as CSV once. First, you will need to add a new field in your Marketo instance in Field Management (requires admin access). Your CSV would  just contain the two columns (email address and the survey link). It doesn't matter which program you upload the list to - the value from the survey field will be available in any program you need it. See the doc: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Import+a+List+of+People

If you really want to go the webhook way - then check out FlowBoost 😉

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Well... you don't need to "assign" tokens. A {{lead.token}} will be available for your custom field as soon as you create it in Field Management.

If you have the unique values in a CSV, you could use a webhook to pull a value off the list onto the lead record and store a pointer to the last position in the list. However, this is a task for a developer, largely b/c of the need to store a pointer. In the absence of a developer, exporting and reimporting the list is going to be the only method available. What do you mean by "hectic"?

aafridi
Level 2

Thanks for sharing the details. For using the webhook option, if possible, could you share any resource link that I can relate to?  

Peter_Rytter
Level 2

As Sanford mentions, if you simply have one unique link per contact at any given time - you should be fine just uploading this as CSV once. First, you will need to add a new field in your Marketo instance in Field Management (requires admin access). Your CSV would  just contain the two columns (email address and the survey link). It doesn't matter which program you upload the list to - the value from the survey field will be available in any program you need it. See the doc: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Import+a+List+of+People

If you really want to go the webhook way - then check out FlowBoost 😉

Michael_Florin
Level 10

What's your survey tool? If it is Qualtrics, the unique survey link association with the Marketo database happens there. And I suppose the same could be true for any survey tool. Have you checked the integration capabilities in your tool?

aafridi
Level 2

Thanks for the response. We are using Dooblo for the survey.  I looked through their platform but couldn't find any resource related to its integration to marketo. 

SanfordWhiteman

I looked through their platform but couldn't find any resource related to its integration to marketo. 

We're probably all lucky they didn't try to build one! The "integrations" I could see with Google Sheets et al. were really clunky.

They do have a REST API, but it didn't look like there was a method to generate Survey Links, or even just fetch existing Survey Links. So ultimately you'd have to start with an exported file.

On the other hand, again just grazing over their docs, it appears that you're going to have a specific Survey Link for each email. So if you were to use a webhook type of connection, you wouldn't have to "pull the next link off the stack, whatever it is" but rather "pull the specific link for this lead's email address". As such, you wouldn't need to maintain a pointer to the last link. You could do this with a Google Sheet and a webhook that does a quick lookup in the sheet.