API call to MKTO DB for all data over 2 weeks and then expanding

Robert_M
Level 1

API call to MKTO DB for all data over 2 weeks and then expanding

My coworker is setting up to extract data via API for he analysis work from MKTO.  I have given him Read and Query permissions and he has a couple of questions that I, (100-% not an API person) cannot answer with authority.

1. He is concerned he will delete our DB by accident

2. More of a concern is the pull on MKTO resources by gathering all the data he wants for the last month then the last year.

Are any of those concerns valid? Our DB is in the 300k range.

Thank you for any information you all can share!

/Robert

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: API call to MKTO DB for all data over 2 weeks and then expanding

• Well, you/your colleague should not be worried about accidentally deleting any data in Marketo while using the GET API endpoints to extract the data. Of course, s/he’ll have to make a POST request in the process (e.g., creating bulk extract job), but unless s/he deliberately uses any Delete endpoints and their API user’s permission allows them to do so, they shouldn’t be worried about it.
  • Also, Marketo has API limits- daily quota, concurrency, and rate limits, and these are shared across all the API users (i.e., your other integrations using the APIs to query/post data to Marketo), so you should consider those limits- check your current daily usage, and then be mindful of extracting the data at a pace so you don’t exhaust the quotas. Moreover, I’d recommend using the bulk extract APIs, which are far more suitable for such jobs than regular APIs.

I’d also recommend reviewing API documentation: The documentation should detail API endpoints, request/response formats, and potential throttling limitations. Some reference links below:

https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/

https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/endpoint-reference/
https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/bulk-extract/

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: API call to MKTO DB for all data over 2 weeks and then expanding

2. More of a concern is the pull on MKTO resources by gathering all the data he wants for the last month then the last year.

Are any of those concerns valid? Our DB is in the 300k range.

Thank you for any information you all can share!

/Robert

It's impossible to answer this question with the limited info we have.

What is "all the data"? Every field on every lead? Selected fields only? All the (non-aged-out) activities in the Activity Log? Selected activities only?

It's also not about the number of leads in your DB. It's perfectly possible for a 100K database to have 10x the activities of a 500K database.

The dev needs to benchmark a couple of different months from different quarters to get an idea of how many pages (if using paginated API endpoints) or how many bytes (if using the Bulk API endpoints).