Re: Any Oktopost users seeing benefit from Marketo integration?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Oktopost users seeing benefit from Marketo integration?

We've partially set up the Marketo integration with Oktopost but are also having a hard time understanding the true benefit of adding the lead capture code. We don't have landing pages, which is problematic for one of the steps Oktopost requires, so before we go through the trouble of trying to troubleshoot that, I wanted to pulse out what business benefits we could really be receiving if everything worked "perfectly."

Oktopost continues to direct us to the documentation on their site, but those docs are not helpful and are not geared toward Marketo power users. I understand what information will appear in the Oktopost platform theoretically but what additional insight does that give us about our contacts and how does it appear in Marketo?

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Lisa,

For my own culture, what does Oktopost do ?

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Greg,

No problem--Oktopost is a B2B social media management platform. (I would say the strengths are in the publishing features, with the ability to separate content into campaigns and view a dynamic content library by keyword. What supposedly separates it from the pack is the ability to capture lead information in the platform and receive more insight into someone's social behavior. This is what I'm having trouble with, though. You can create Interesting Moments in Marketo and make segmented lists based on social activity and all that, but I, more basically, just want to know what shows up in Marketo for a lead that has touched one of my social posts.)

Daniel_Kushner1
Level 2

Hi Lisa,

I should have gotten back to you earlier on this platform, but the alerts a little lacking. Anyway, you ask a great question and I hope to provide, at minimum, a great answer.

From this page, How to Set Up the Marketo Integration – Customer Feedback & Ideas for Oktopost , you will see all the parameters that are sent to Marketo on every social click:

• utm_medium [will always be "Social"]
  • utm_source [the social network name: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google]
  • utm_term [a comma separated list of campaign tags]
  • utm_campaign [the Oktopost campaign name]
  • utm_content [the source of the post: UI, Api, Autoposter, Bookmarklet, Board]
  • okt_campaign_id [the Oktopost campaign Id]
  • okt_profile_name [the name of the profile that was used to send the message]
  • okt_profile_id [the Id of the profile that was used to send the message]
  • okt_poster_name [the name of the user who posted the message]
  • okt_poster_id [the Id of the user who posted the message]
  • okt_post_id [the Id of the Oktopost post]
  • okt_message_id [the Id of the Oktopost message]
  • okt_remote_url [the link to the post on the social network site]

You can use this additional lead data to better nurture and score your leads. Here are some ideas, but really, your imagination is the limit.

Segment based on campaign tags

When you create a new campaign in Oktopost, you can add tags to the campaign, that will appear in the utm_term parameter when there is a click on any of the social posts from within that campaign.

create-campaign.jpg

So in essence, you can segment your leads, prospects and customers just by what they click on in social media, even if the link in the post leads to your website or to a third party, such as a blog, YouTube video, etc.

An interesteding use case would be to segment leads based on their social click behavior, and then when sending a monthly newsletter you can send a customized email based on interest, rather than a generic email for the whole database. The Marketo trigger below demonstrates such a social click:

trigger-1.jpg

Scoring based on social network click

As marketers, we often believe that our marketing automation or Google Analytics is telling us where our traffic is coming from. With more networks sending us HTTPS traffic, source and referring sites are becoming harder to realize and most traffic is seen as "direct visits". With the Oktopost/Marketo integration, every single social click is accounted for. Even clicks that Marketo will not normally see (clicks that go from social network to a third party website and never pass through your own website where the Munchkin code in embedded). You can use the social network source as a way to increase and manage lead scores.

lead-score.jpg

These are just two examples, but of course the more data you have in Marketo about your leads, the better you can nurture and score them.

Please share with us other interesting things you are doing with this data. We love to learn and share.

Cheers,

Daniel

Brett_Carpenter
Level 3

It sounds like you're an Oktopost customer Daniel Kushner ? If so, I'd love to connect with you on the process (we're evaluating Okto)

Daniel_Kushner1
Level 2

Feel free to connect Brett. daniel@oktopost.com