Level 4

Adding Secondary Opportunity Fields to Salesforce

Hey everyone, 

I am looking to do the following. 

I want to have the following fields exist on opportunities in salesforce
1. First Touch
2. Pre-Op Last Touch Marketing
3. Pre-Close Won Last Touch Marketing

However, I am now seeing in the documentation that Marketo can not update opportunity fields in salesforce.
All of this data would in theory be coming from the main contact role on the opportunity. So is the best solutions, to have all of this information live on the person level in Marketo, and see if I can make an automation in salesforce to grab it from the primary contact role on the opportunity and place it onto the opportunity in salesforce? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Adding Secondary Opportunity Fields to Salesforce

Any reason why I should be using tasks and JSON? 
JSON is a little above my head without some internet sleuthing.

For multitouch attribution (not sure exactly what you’re using for that, which would be good to know) it’s likely that you can’t guarantee that those fields will not be updated multiple times in quick succession.

If you use standard Marketo Person ↔︎ SFDC Contact field sync, that would mean losing data.

By sending a Task, you ensure that each value is recorded, even if it’s quickly superseded by another another value. So you see the entire history. Since you only have the single Description (Textarea) field to write to, using the standard JSON format is how you embed complex data — not just multiple fields, but if you wanted to, an array of multiple objects! — into that Textarea field. Apex speaks JSON natively so can turn that representation back into living objects that can populate lots of different areas in SFDC.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

It’s more scalable to use a Task rather than a Person field. You can write a complex JSON value in the Task description and then have it parsed out in Apex and turned into Opportunity fields.

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Thanks Sanford! 

Do you see any issues with my solution to use data from the person level, then to use proccess builder or flow builder to map it to the opportunity? I believe it should work even if its clunky. 

SanfordWhiteman

For multitouch attribution (not sure exactly what you’re using for that, which would be good to know) it’s likely that you can’t guarantee that those fields will not be updated multiple times in quick succession.

If you use standard Marketo Person ↔︎ SFDC Contact field sync, that would mean losing data.

By sending a Task, you ensure that each value is recorded, even if it’s quickly superseded by another another value. So you see the entire history. Since you only have the single Description (Textarea) field to write to, using the standard JSON format is how you embed complex data — not just multiple fields, but if you wanted to, an array of multiple objects! — into that Textarea field. Apex speaks JSON natively so can turn that representation back into living objects that can populate lots of different areas in SFDC.

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

All great points! 
Thank you  Sanford! 

Currently no multi-touch attribution. Still lots of groundwork to do before I can get the various teams to agree upon a model. One day 🤞