Re: Adding Facebook meta to pages

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Adding Facebook meta to pages

Just an FYI for all Marketo friends out there that I discovered earlier today.

When creating the Facebook specific meta tags on landing pages keep the following in mind:

Edit the landing page, click the Landing Page Actions button at the top left, and click Edit Page Meta Tags.

In the Facebook OG tags section you must enter the full HTML meta tags as follows.

OG tags are usually in the format:

<meta property="og:title" content="My Post Title"/>

<meta property="og:caption" content="My Post Caption"/>

<meta property="og:description" content="This text appears in the post description"/>

I hope this helps someone in the future!

-Geoff

12 REPLIES 12
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Thx Geoffrey.

Geoff_Krajeski1

You're welcome Grégoire Michel

Dan_Stevens_

thanks!  I never would have thought to add all three of these tags in this one field.

Geoff_Krajeski1

You're welcome Dan Stevens

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Dumb question, but since I've never actually used the separate field for OG tags (as opposed to making them part of a larger custom head block of meta tags), what's the difference? Is the idea that it allows for faster entering? Finishes tags?

Geoff_Krajeski1

Courtney Grimes,

In what manner are you creating your custom Meta block as you describe?

If you have them present, you should be fine, but if they are in a custom block my concern would be that they are not contained in the <head> section of your HTML.

I would double check.

The use of the Marketo default field allows for customization on the particular landing page.

As long as the tags are present you should be fine, but again, I would check how your HTML actually is resolving.

-Geoff

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Geoff,

Honestly, I'm just putting everything as one block in the Custom HEAD HTML area on individual landing pages (that way, I can encompass everything on one go—description, OG, Twitter cards, microdata as needed, etc.) My confusion just lies in the separation as a different textarea. I get that Description, Keywords, etc. just format the data into the correct meta tags for the end user, but it always just looked to me like the OG tag space still required...the types of tags you'd put in the custom head HTML area.

Geoff_Krajeski1

My understanding is that it is just separated to make it easier for the less technical users.

If you are already covering this in the HEAD HTML area on your landing pages, then you should be all set.

-Geoff

Jamie-Carey
Level 6

Has anyone tried tokenizing this in a program template?

IE:

<meta property="og:title" content="{{my.My FB Post Title}}"/>

<meta property="og:caption" content="{{my.My FB Post Caption}}"/>

<meta property="og:description" content="{{my.This text appears in the FB post description}}"/>