Re: Adding Anchors within Newsletter Using Built-In Edit Tools

Peter471
Level 2

Adding Anchors within Newsletter Using Built-In Edit Tools

It took me way too long to figure out how to get anchors to work within an email so a link at the beginning can take you separate sections of the email. So I wanted to share my discovery to help relieve some headaches for others.

First, you use the "Insert Anchor" option when editing the rich text the link will be going to. Name the anchor something appropriate, especially if you're going to have multiple anchors within the email. In this example, I used "ToC_to_AWS_Articles".Insert Anchor.png

Then, on the rich text you will have viewers click on to go to the anchored point of the email, you're first going to highlight the text that will be clicked on. Then, select the "Insert/Edit Link" option.

Insert-Edit Link.png

This is the most important step that took me way too long to figure out. When you're on the Insert/Edit Link field, you will add the anchor to the "URL" box. But when you add it in to that box, type it in with the "#" before the name of the anchor. That is how the system fully connects the link to the anchor within the email. So in this case, I wrote it in as "#ToC_to_AWS_Articles".

You should also change the "Target" option to "Current Window" so it stays on the same window when the viewer clicks on the link.

Adding Anchor.png

I hope this helps someone out and save some headaches!

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing! But I'm going to ask that you edit your screenshots and text to use valid HTML. The id attribute, which is the target of #hash navigation, cannot have spaces in HTML (up to and including HTML5).

dmcswiney
Level 1

Thank you so much for this concise and so VERY helpful post. It's greatly appreciated!!