SOLVED

Re: Added to list trigger on import: only want it to run on newly added leads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Added to list trigger on import: only want it to run on newly added leads

Hi Community!

Question: How can I have Marketo Smart Campaign run a flow only on leads added to a list for the first time?

I maintain a list in Marketo of "All customers using product X". I maintain this list by either importing a weekly list of these customers, or by using the API. Going forward, I would like to "onboard" new customers of product X with a set of emails sent over a few weeks. I would NOT like to onboard the large list of customers already using product X today.

I thought that using the "Added to list" trigger would *only* trigger when a lead was added to the list for the first time (i.e. if a lead was already in the list, and that lead was included in the import, it should NOT trigger). This is not the case. When I import a file into the list, all of the leads in the import trigger.

I need some way to add just the new customers to a separate campaign. I CANNOT use "Lead Created", because new users of product X come from my customer base (and therefore are already leads in Marketo).

One way I can think of is to have a custom field in Marketo (e.g. IsProductXUser) that the import files/API always sets to 1. Then I can use a combination of "lead created trigger", "data value changed trigger", and "is in list filter".

But it feels like Mkto should have this ability to look for *new* adds to a list organically, and my solution feels hacky.

Thanks!

PS, this behavior makes no sense to me. Why does Data Value Change not fire on a new lead created, but Added to List does fire if the lead is already in that list? And where is there detailed documentation on this stuff? The product docs are numbingly simple.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why is Added to List  and Schedule=Once not working for you?

You can use a smart list + Add to List should help you do this systematically.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Dan, I'm not sure if you have customers using multiple products, and this might be a little more cumbersome/clunky if that's the case, but you could accomplish what you're looking to do with segmentations. The segmentation would be based on membership of a list, which will only change when someone is added to the list. When a person's segmentation changes to a specific product (combinations of products could be tricky as mentioned before), then you could trigger the flow.

This could also be useful in other ways if you aren't already segmenting customers, so this work could be used for more than just this one specific campaign.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why is Added to List  and Schedule=Once not working for you?

You can use a smart list + Add to List should help you do this systematically.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair suggestion; thanks, Josh! This wouldn't let me use that smartlist functionality (only allow once every X days) in other ways, but what you suggest would work!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops. I spoke too soon; your method will capture all the people who are already customers (potentially from months ago), and will onboard them. I only want to capture new customers going forward.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Dan, I still think segmentations will work here, just let me know if you have any questions about how you might be able to best set this up.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hey Dan,

You can use the Lead is Created trigger.  Use Add Constraint and select "List Name" then designate your list.  This will cause it to only trigger for net new leads which are imported into the list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Kenny. Lead created doesn't work, as some customers will already be in Marketo.