SOLVED

Re: Activate trigger campaign based on data value change to a specific form field

Go to solution
Halid_Delkic
Level 3

Activate trigger campaign based on data value change to a specific form field

Hi there,

I’m looking for a way to activate a trigger campaign based on a data value change, to a single field, as a result of a form submission.

Here is a scenario to clarify what I’m looking for in a possible solution. Any advice or real-world examples are welcome.

Known lead completes Form A, and populates Field A with Option A.

n.b. Field A is a standard Contact Me field which appears on live forms across multiple campaign landing pages at any one time.

On their next response the same lead submits Form B, but populates Field A with Option B.

I want to be able to set up a trigger campaign to identify, in real time, when this change happens in order to trigger a flow task.

I tried combining Data Value Changes trigger (e.g. Field A New Value = options A, B or C) with Filled Out Form filter = Form B.

This doesn’t quite work as Field A new value may be updated from a different form altogether that is not in this equation but would still meet the above criteria.

Ideal solution (at least in this instance) would be in a Smart Campaign to select Form B in a Fills Out Form trigger and have an option under Add Constraint to specify which changes to listen out for, before progressing the lead into the Flow section.

Or even if it was possible to set the criteria for a lead to meet both Data Value Changes and Fills Out Forms triggers before continuing.

As it stands these options don’t exist.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Halid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Activate trigger campaign based on data value change to a specific form field

Hi Halid Delkic ,

Use a "data value changes trigger", using the following constraints:

• Attribute: Field A
  • new value is option B
  • Source is Web form fillout
  • Reason contains [URL of the landing page containing the form]

Works also with filters. Ex :

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why can't you do

Fills Out Form X

Field X=A OR B

if A, then do X

if B then do Z

Halid_Delkic
Level 3

This wouldn't work as field X may already be populated by an A or B value from a previous form submission.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Halid Delkic ,

Use a "data value changes trigger", using the following constraints:

• Attribute: Field A
  • new value is option B
  • Source is Web form fillout
  • Reason contains [URL of the landing page containing the form]

Works also with filters. Ex :

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Halid_Delkic
Level 3

Perfect, many thanks Greg. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Sarah_Bright
Level 2

Hi Gregoire,

I am trying to do what you suggested as well but am not having any luck. I just created a new custom marketo field and set the values in the form where I am using it. When I go to setup a trigger in a smart campaign, it won't show me any values for previous value or new value. Am I missing a step?Grégoire Michel

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Jonathan,

You will only see values in the filter when the database has some in the fields. The fact that the picklists have values in the form has no link with the velues in the filters.

In the meantime, just enter the values manually in the filters.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg I have been searching HOURS for this solution. Thank you for contributing this to the Marketo community!

I have a follow up question to this if you may, does the "change data value" filter also include leads that are newly created?

For example, if Sam fills out Form A and Sam's lead record is created (Sam did not exist in the database before) with the value they populated in the form. If I use the filter "Data Value is Changed" will Sam be included? Or does the Data Value is changed only include existing leads who already have a specific field populated and then that value is changed to another?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

New leads do not fire Data Value Changes. You have to account for both scenarios.

Jasmin_Goelzenl
Level 1

Hi Sanford Whiteman​, just found this article, you mentioned before that you have to account for both scenarios (also for new leads created). How would the smart campaign look like in this szenario? I would like to set a a notification, based on a certain form value selected.