Acquisition Program Name vs. Person Source.

Aarij_Khan1
Level 1

Acquisition Program Name vs. Person Source.

Hi all,

How are these different in practical use?

The main use case for us is for downstream SDRs, to identify what program the person came through (e.g. a particular collateral piece in a bucket of downloadable assets?).

Seems redundant, what are we missing?

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Acquisition Program Name vs. Person Source.

Please move the question to Products​ (Move link will be at the right). This isn't a support space, it's for discussing the Champs program itself.

Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

Person source is more broad and is good for higher level reporting. For example, someone might have entered your database through a webinar registration, so the person source on the lead would be "Webinar" and the acquisition program would be the program for that particular webinar. 

To help SDRs understand the lead history you can pass all the relevant data to the Marketo Sales Insight via interesting moments.

Aarij_Khan1
Level 1

Thanks Iryna. Shouldn't we use "Acquisition Program" for that higher level, which we can set via "Changed Data Value" flow step?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Not really, the AP is more granular.

Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

You will most likely create a program for every initiative/campaign you run: webinars, content, events, etc., the longer you use Marketo the more programs you will have in your instance. Every program can become an AP if a lead was acquired through that program, so the number of APs will continue growing as well.  As of today I have 4967 programs in my instance (and that's after some significant purging we did in the past few months), and only a dozen+ values in the lead/person source field.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

To add to the other responses, most people use a system in which there are a limited number of possibilities for Lead Source - which are general, like "Webinar" as Iryna suggested or "Paid Search", etc. Then there is usually a more granular "Lead Source Detail" field, which would be the name of the particular program. These fields are typically set up to be populated once and not overwritten. So in addition, there are commonly 2 additional fields that get overwritten every time called something like "Most Recent Source" and "Most Recent Source Detail."

Acquisition Program is often the same as Lead Source Detail but it serves a particular function in Marketo. Acquisition Program is what Marketo uses for First Touch attribution in analytics.

Jason_Raisleger
Level 4

This what we do and for us acquisition program and person source are very different. The acquisition program is the "what" the person wanted (ebook, webinar, sample etc.) and the person source is "how" they found us (ppc, social, organic etc.) and then person source details is specific (google, bing, facebook etc.).

Jonathan_Dias
Level 1

Hi! 

Like you, I'll like to use Person Source for "how" they found the program they activated. (They came to my Webinar (Program channel) through "social media" or "organic". And I want this to be a permanent stamp on the program (I'm doing this with a custom field on Campaign Member object on Salesforce that will capture Person Source. So the next program this person interacts with, will update the person source and that will stamp on the program and so on. I need to report on Salesforce Opportunities. 

But I have a big problem: I'm not sure how to config the smart campaigns to constantly update Person Source using the UTM fields (Campaign, medium, source, content, term). I'm having a big problem with  the organic ones (no utms). 

Have anyone solved this? 

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

For us, Lead Source is the broad category (Web, Event, Sign Up), and the Acquisition Program is almost like a Lead Source Detail. Lead Source gives you broad reporting (and you can also differentiate between Marketing Sourced and Sales Sourced leads). We also have different Lead Sources for organic vs paid leads (Web for people who come directly through the website, and Web Paid for people who click on an ad to come to the website). Acquisition program is very detailed, and you can't do a ton of reporting on it.

There is a philosophical argument about whether Lead Source is the "path you walked down" (e.g. PPC, organic, etc.) or the "door you came through" (e.g. website form, tradeshow list, etc.). We consider it the door you came through. Our UTM Source shows the door they came through.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor