SOLVED

Re: Accurately Tracking Program Success by Channel for Web Page Visits

Go to solution
John_Charleswor
Level 2 - Champion Alumni

Accurately Tracking Program Success by Channel for Web Page Visits

Hi all, 

Our org is currently scoring leads for eclipsing a min number of web page visits within a 1 day time period. What I would ideally like to do is assign a program success when this happens so that this activity is factored into our multi-touch attribution model. Due to our strategy, we are reducing the amount of gated content across our website for a more frictionless experience, so this type of scoring is important for us.

However, the challenge arises when I begin to think about how to accurately assign a program success (for multiple web page visits) by channel.

For example, if someone visits our website via the paid search channel, their first url querystring will contain a utm-medium value of "ppc" but all of the subsequent page url's they visit in the same session won't have that value. Therefore, if I were to include a querystring constraint on the same trigger that's looking for 10 page visits within 1 day, it wouldn't work because 10 pages aren't going to have "ppc" in the querystring. This same example applies to people who visit our website from email campaigns and other channels.

Does anyone have a creative way to solve this issue? Or am I thinking about something incorrectly?

Really appreciate the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I definitely approve of the batch approach over your first take with triggers.

Activity Log "lookback" filters (like Min. Number of Times) + high-traffic activities like Visits Web Page + trigger campaigns are a dangerous mix for system performance.

Aside from the ordering question of your batch campaign (that is, you don't actually know if the PPC-tagged pageviews happened before the others) it seems fine.

Still, I would venture that a real multitouch attribution solution is better. Even JavaScript running entirely in the browser — so no service subscription or anything — could send custom special Munchkin hit on the 10th pageview in a 24-hour period after a PPC touch, allowing you to still trigger on just that hit when things became "interesting".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
John_Charleswor

I just had a thought that maybe I could accomplish this with nightly batch campaigns rather than a trigger campaign. Using the example from my first post, I'm thinking of a batch campaign that looks for any web visit with "ppc" in the querystring within 24 hours AND 10 total web page visits within 24 hours. Then, the flow could set the success status within the paid search channel.

There are definitely still other things to consider if I had similar batch campaigns for other channels running at the same time, but that's where my thought process is currently.

Let me know if you have another suggestion!

SanfordWhiteman

I definitely approve of the batch approach over your first take with triggers.

Activity Log "lookback" filters (like Min. Number of Times) + high-traffic activities like Visits Web Page + trigger campaigns are a dangerous mix for system performance.

Aside from the ordering question of your batch campaign (that is, you don't actually know if the PPC-tagged pageviews happened before the others) it seems fine.

Still, I would venture that a real multitouch attribution solution is better. Even JavaScript running entirely in the browser — so no service subscription or anything — could send custom special Munchkin hit on the 10th pageview in a 24-hour period after a PPC touch, allowing you to still trigger on just that hit when things became "interesting".

John_Charleswor

Hi @SanfordWhiteman,

Thanks for the reply. Your comment on batch vs. trigger campaigns definitely makes sense, and I agree with your ordering point. Would the only way accomplish my use case while also solving the ordering issue be your Javascript recommendation to send a custom munchkin hit? Just want to be sure I'm not missing another solution.

On a separate note, while I don't have firsthand experience using Bizible, my general understanding is that their Javascript and concept of touchpoints would be a more optimal attribution solution for us if we wanted our model to give credit to web page visits by channel at varied weightings. 

SanfordWhiteman

Would the only way accomplish my use case while also solving the ordering issue be your Javascript recommendation to send a custom munchkin hit? Just want to be sure I'm not missing another solution.

Yes, that would be the only way that keeps your trigger setup lean and mean.

On a separate note, while I don't have firsthand experience using Bizible, my general understanding is that their Javascript and concept of touchpoints would be a more optimal attribution solution for us if we wanted our model to give credit to web page visits by channel at varied weightings.

For sure — if you have the budget!

John_Charleswor

Thanks for the help @SanfordWhiteman!