Ability to edit segments

Ability to edit segments

Hi,

I have created a segment last week and created a landing page with dynamic content. Now I want to update segment. It appears that it's not possible to edit already approved segments. I cannot delete segment either because it's used (see dynamic content) so I ended up by making my dynamic content static (so I lost one of my 2 messages), disapproving segment, deleting segment, recreating segment (and now it takes ages to re-approve). Can we add ability to edit segment (or at least make whole process easier)?

0EM50000000QZgn.jpg

Cécile @ Talend
12 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
So are you in segmentations? If you right click on the segmentation and then click create draft, you should be able to edit. I wish there was a way to more easily (and faster) change a segment. Maybe you can do one at a time and not the whole segmentation - that would be great!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Cécile, make sure to create segementation draft first, then edit and approve the segment(s).
This way you don't have to re-create your segments.
Cheers,
Elena.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

@ Elena : If segments are in draft status, I cannot add dynamic content in my landing page and I cannot run tests right?

As I didn't want to have final segment before getting started with content creation, I have created my landing page and a dummy segment with right name. I was then hoping I could edit the smart list of my segment w/o having to touch my landing page or recreate segment.

How do you proceed (approval process etc.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's right - segmentation needs to be approved before you can start using new segments.
However, if you'd like to change the dummy segement's rules, you could do so in draft mode.

Here is step by step
1) Create segmentation draft
2) Add a new dummy segment - this should be the last segment in the list. This way existing landing pages and emails are not affected.
3) Approve the segmentation
4) The dummy segment is available: you could add it to your landing page

To edit the smart list of your segment w/o having to touch your landing page
1) Create the segmentation draft
2) Find the draft of dummy segment
3) Change the rules in the segment's smart list
4) Approve the segmentation
5) New rules are applied to the "dummy" segment which is not dummy anymore

Is this what you were looking for?
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

@ Elena: thanks for your prompt answer.

I understand the first 1-4 steps.

However I don't understand the next 1-5 steps. As I have approved my segmentation, the dummy segment is no longer on draft status....

Just to be clear, I would like to be able to create a final version of my landing page with dynamic content and test it. So that all decision-makers for the campaign can see the 2 -3 versions of landing page and I can check that dynamic rule is working properly. Once the event has taken place (for instance), I would like to just update smartlist and like that everything is ready to be distributed. Does that make sense?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for clarification, Cécile.
You are correct: after you approve the segmnentation,
the dummy segment is no longer in draft status.
That's why you'll need to create a new draft of the segmentation after
the event has taken place.
As soon as you do that, all segments including the dummy segment will get new drafts - make sure to scroll down to see them. You'll be able to just update the smartlist in the draft version of the dummy segment.
As soon as you approve the segment draft, the new rules will take effect.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10
aaaahh ... now I see ... and it works! Elena you just made my day! I can only "like" your comment once but it's worth 10 likes!
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10
Hey that's ok Cecile, I liked it for you because I need it too!!! I'm segmenting my database too so the steps above is going to help me a lot!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad I could help 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a related question...

I edited my segments today and then approved the segmentation, nothing new. However, when I look at the "used by" tab in a segment it says it's used by none. I have many rules that use segments so I want to know why it says this and make sure it is still working with the segments.

Thanks!