SOLVED

Transition Rules based in clicks in links

Go to solution
Mariana
Level 2

Transition Rules based in clicks in links

I want to create a transition rule based on clicks in links, like in this example:

"if people clink in this link, send them to stream 2", i am just not sure if i should create this transition rule into the stream 1 (the one that has the link" or in the stream 2 (the one i want them to move).

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Transition Rules based in clicks in links

When you're creating stream transition rules in an engagement program, then you create them in the stream where you want the people to end up when they qualify, i.e., Transition rules are always pull-based. In your case, you should set the transition rule in Stream 2, as that is where you want the people to transition when they Click X link.

Check out this note below from the product documentation page too. Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have questions.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1684401769004.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1

When you're creating stream transition rules in an engagement program, then you create them in the stream where you want the people to end up when they qualify, i.e., Transition rules are always pull-based. In your case, you should set the transition rule in Stream 2, as that is where you want the people to transition when they Click X link.

Check out this note below from the product documentation page too. Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have questions.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1684401769004.png

loganlloydBT
Level 2

Just as an aside, even with Marketo's recent bot activity enhancements to flag or even disregard bot clicks from activity logs, bot activity can still slip through.

Building triggers off "clicks link" could errantly pull through leads and contacts via bot activity. We typically try to leverage "visits web page" in the activity log since we've found bot activity doesn't usually record that activity after the link click.

Darshil_Shah1

True, but if you're worried about bots, then just a note here that this too will not always work because the more sophisticated bots are known to follow the webpage and even log the Munchkin hit.

Amanda_Reilly3
Level 3

Another way to manage transitions is through smart campaigns - I like to do it this way so it's really clear in the program naming that there's a transition and it feels easier to change or manage multiple streams. All you would do is either set a trigger or batch to with the parameters you're looking for, then in the flow select "change engagement program stream." You can do if statements there too if there are multiple streams.

As others noted, bot activity isn't the easiest to determine. I do like the idea of visiting a page, but I typically indicate that they've clicked a link with a UTM appended so I know they've at least clicked the main CTA I wanted them too. This way you're not moving people into the stream for clicking privacy policies, facebook URLs, etc. 

Amanda Reilly
Marketing Operations Consultant at Etumos