Re: Dynamic preheader solution?

Karen_Vuong
Level 2

Dynamic preheader solution?

Looking for alternative solutions to adding dynamic preheader text. Our emails must be bilingual, so dynamic content is ideal. What workarounds are others using to solve this problem?

Karen Vuong
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Are you using anything at present to populate the dynamic pre-header text?

One way is to use the velocity/other custom my/person tokens to personalize the pre-header text, refer this post from Courtney here.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Darshil_Shah1 ,

Courtney's approach is solid... BUT it can lead to confusion as the email editor also has a location to enter pre-header text now.  As long as users are well trained to NOT use Marketo's built in pre-header 'editor' then it can work fine.  It also burns a segment!

I like the Velocity approach you proposed.  But then again, those who know me will find that unsurprising :)!

Cheers

Jo

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Yes thank you, @Jo_Pitts1! The OOTB built-in pre-header in Marketo must not be used with this as it’ll be added before the invisible span pre-header in-case both are used in the email.

Karen_Vuong
Level 2

We have been creating separate emails and avoiding dynamic text altogether as the OOTB preheader can't support dynamic text. I'm not familiar with Velocity.

Karen Vuong
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Karen_Vuong ,

Velocity is a scripting language you can use to extend the richness of emails.

For example, you might create a velocity email token something like this 

{{my.vuongIsBest}}

#if ($lead.lastname.equals("Vuong"))
  This text gets displays.  East West Vuong is the best
#else
  You're no Vuong, but you're OK!
#endif

Where ever you drop that in your email, it'll get evaluated and the correct text output.. including in the preheader!

Cheers

Jo