SOLVED

Discussion on Marketo Nurture Program Content Transition

Go to solution
Karthick77
Level 3

Discussion on Marketo Nurture Program Content Transition

I'm navigating a nurture program with three streams in Marketo, each with three emails. Currently, four recipients have exhausted the content, four are in the 2nd, and two are still in the 1st stream.

Considering adding more content to the 1st stream, I'm curious: How does Marketo handle transitioning individuals to new content dynamically, especially those who've exhausted previous content or are in the 2nd stream? Wondering about the qualification process without explicit transition rules or smart list criteria.

Any insights or experiences you've had in similar situations would be highly appreciated! How does Marketo prioritize and deliver content dynamically?

Karthcik R
Tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Discussion on Marketo Nurture Program Content Transition

Understanding:

When leads complete all the content in their current stream, they will automatically move to the next stream in the nurture program. [...] Is my understanding correct?

No. When a person completes all content in their current stream they will sit idle in the stream and not do anything. They will be marked as "exhausted", and through this flag Marketo tells you that you might need to do something with them.

If you want to move exhausted persons to the next stream, you will have to create a specific transition rule for that. This filter finds all exhausted persons in a stream:

Michael_Florin_2-1707146093604.png

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@Karthick77 wrote:

Hello @Darshil_Shah1 @uditmathur 

I have a fair idea about moving the leads through transition rules and smart campaigns.

Understanding:

When leads complete all the content in their current stream, they will automatically move to the next stream in the nurture program. If a new email is added to the first stream, those who have exhausted the content in that stream will begin receiving the new content. Similarly, leads in the first and second streams will continue through their flow, and when they exhaust their content, they too will start receiving new content. This seamless transition is facilitated by Marketo's built-in activities and prioritization logic.

Is my understanding correct?

No, as I said in my previous post, Marketo won't move people to other streams without any setup (transition rules/campaigns that move people using the Change Engagement Program Stream flow step)! Also, a person cannot be a member of multiple streams at any point in time! If you move a person to a different stream after they've exhausted content (using the Exhausted Content constraint in the Member of Engagement filter, as Michael has shown in the snapshot below), they won't receive new content that's added to the stream they were earlier part of- they'll receive content from their present stream and will remain in that stream until you/a flow step/transition rule change their stream.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1

Well, Marketo doesn't do any transitions between streams OOTB; you'd need to create trigger-based rules in the Transition Rules section of the stream you want to pull people into or manage the stream transition via the smart campaign using the Change Engagement Program Stream flow step. Also, people who've exhausted content in a stream would automatically be sent newly added content to the stream, of course in the order you have added content to it (Marketo has a built-in logic to send the first un-sent content to the person in the stream in nurture cast).

Also, the specific criteria you'd consider for moving people around the stream depends on your nurture strategy and there's no one set of rules fit for all, of course! Hope this answers your question. Please let us  know if you have any further questions.

uditmathur
Level 6

Hi Karthick77,

As Darshil_Shah1 mentioned you will have to create Transition rules within the streams (or by Smart Campaign) to move leads from one to another. 

Its always advisable to transition leads based on well defined actions ( fill a form, subscribe to product etc.).

Regarding the leads with exhausted content & presuming all exhausted leads are in 1st stream, as you add a new content in this stream the exhausted leads will receive the new content in the next cadence. For e.g. if you add the 4th email at the bottom of the stream your 4 exhausted leads will receive the Email 4 & 2 non exhausted leads will receive the email they are in (if they on 3rd cast they will receive Email 3).

If your leads are in different stream than the 1 you add new content to, then these leads will still be exhausted & not receive any content in the next cast.

Karthick77
Level 3

I have a fair idea about moving the leads through transition rules and smart campaigns.

Understanding:

When leads complete all the content in their current stream, they will automatically move to the next stream in the nurture program. If a new email is added to the first stream, those who have exhausted the content in that stream will begin receiving the new content. Similarly, leads in the first and second streams will continue through their flow, and when they exhaust their content, they too will start receiving new content. This seamless transition is facilitated by Marketo's built-in activities and prioritization logic.

Karthcik R
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Understanding:

When leads complete all the content in their current stream, they will automatically move to the next stream in the nurture program. [...] Is my understanding correct?

No. When a person completes all content in their current stream they will sit idle in the stream and not do anything. They will be marked as "exhausted", and through this flag Marketo tells you that you might need to do something with them.

If you want to move exhausted persons to the next stream, you will have to create a specific transition rule for that. This filter finds all exhausted persons in a stream:

Michael_Florin_2-1707146093604.png

Karthick77
Level 3

Got it, thanks @Michael_Florin

Karthcik R
Darshil_Shah1

@Karthick77 wrote:

Understanding:

No, as I said in my previous post, Marketo won't move people to other streams without any setup (transition rules/campaigns that move people using the Change Engagement Program Stream flow step)! Also, a person cannot be a member of multiple streams at any point in time! If you move a person to a different stream after they've exhausted content (using the Exhausted Content constraint in the Member of Engagement filter, as Michael has shown in the snapshot below), they won't receive new content that's added to the stream they were earlier part of- they'll receive content from their present stream and will remain in that stream until you/a flow step/transition rule change their stream.

Karthick77
Level 3

Got it, thanks @Darshil_Shah1 

Karthcik R