SOLVED

Re: Zapier/Marketo integration - setting up a trigger to recognize specific smart list

Go to solution
johnnyjmullen
Level 1

Zapier/Marketo integration - setting up a trigger to recognize specific smart list

Hey there! Little new to this, so I apologize in advance for any missing information - we are looking to set up a Zap that will allow us to send a "Welcome!" SMS (through Zipwhip) once a new customer signs up and is added to our new customer Smart List. Reviewing a few different forums, I'm getting a little confused with the Marketo webhooks and Webhooks by Zapier. Within Zapier, my Marketo options are limited to lead fields, so I'm sure I'm messing something up here. Any guidance to get the ball rolling is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Zapier/Marketo integration - setting up a trigger to recognize specific smart list

Marketo webhooks are outbound from Marketo to a webhook-compatible service. That service could be Zapier's "Webhooks by Zapier" inbound entry point, or any other service that handles webhook calls.

"Webhooks by Zapier" also is Zapier's term for webhooks sent outbound from Zapier to another webhook-compatible service. It's needlessly confusing that they use the same term for both directions, but that's how it is.

Zapier's built-in Marketo New Lead detection is a somewhat frighteningly architected attempt to detect (i.e. poll for) when new Leads enter Marketo.  There would be no reason to use this feature, since you can use a Marketo outbound webhook to call the Zapier inbound endpoint whenever the criteria for a Welcome! SMS are met.

You might also consider using ZipWhip's API directly from a Marketo webhook. As far as I know, it's compatible, because unlike with other services a ZipWhip session key never expires. Thus no Zapier-type intermediate layer is necessary because you can get the session key once, store it in a {{my.token}}, and put it right in the Marketo webhook setup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Marketo webhooks are outbound from Marketo to a webhook-compatible service. That service could be Zapier's "Webhooks by Zapier" inbound entry point, or any other service that handles webhook calls.

"Webhooks by Zapier" also is Zapier's term for webhooks sent outbound from Zapier to another webhook-compatible service. It's needlessly confusing that they use the same term for both directions, but that's how it is.

Zapier's built-in Marketo New Lead detection is a somewhat frighteningly architected attempt to detect (i.e. poll for) when new Leads enter Marketo.  There would be no reason to use this feature, since you can use a Marketo outbound webhook to call the Zapier inbound endpoint whenever the criteria for a Welcome! SMS are met.

You might also consider using ZipWhip's API directly from a Marketo webhook. As far as I know, it's compatible, because unlike with other services a ZipWhip session key never expires. Thus no Zapier-type intermediate layer is necessary because you can get the session key once, store it in a {{my.token}}, and put it right in the Marketo webhook setup.

johnnyjmullen
Level 1

Fantastic! This is very insightful. Thank you so much for the quick response, Sanford! 

SanfordWhiteman

Sure thing!