SOLVED

Will an "update field" trigger activate when a new lead record is added?

Go to solution
Ronn_Burner
Level 4

Will an "update field" trigger activate when a new lead record is added?

Simple question - I think.

Will both of these triggers work exactly the same?

My goal is for this trigger to activate when a 'Status' becomes a 'Free Trial'. These Triggers are custom objects. Will a NEW Account Record added to the CRM activate this trigger?

Obviously and existing Account Record with the field value changed (updated) will activate the trigger and I assume a new leaded added to the CRM would as well since technically the when the lead is added that field needs to have a value added to it which would be recognized by the smart list as having gone form non-existent or null to now being created and having a value - but I don't know.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Will an "update field" trigger active when a new lead record is added?

When an field has a value from the moment of inception (i.e. it is not set by a Change Data Value step or any other method), that is not considered an update.

(When you insert an entirely new row in a database, the values contained in the insert don't go change from NULL to anything else. They just, well, are.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

When an field has a value from the moment of inception (i.e. it is not set by a Change Data Value step or any other method), that is not considered an update.

(When you insert an entirely new row in a database, the values contained in the insert don't go change from NULL to anything else. They just, well, are.)

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

Just so I'm clear, you're saying I would need to use the custom object trigger "Added to Products Revised" for all NEW account records as there was never a value to be updated to begin with? And for all existing account records I would used the "Products Revised is Updated" trigger as that would reflect the field value has been changed (update)? Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Yes.