Why do we need to force a refresh, after user gives consent on cookie-banner, in order for the munchkin-tracking to work?

NestoJosa
Level 3

Why do we need to force a refresh, after user gives consent on cookie-banner, in order for the munchkin-tracking to work?

Hello again Marketing Nation!

Here comes yet another question I was hoping someone could help me answer.

We were recently struggling with finding the reason for why the tracking from a marketo-landing-page, to a non-marketo-page, was not working.

After a lot of trial and error, we discovered that the solution was to force a refresh, on the landing-page after user gave consent on the cookie-banner, prior to filling out the marketo-form.

Once the forced-refresh was in place, we could track the user from the landing-page to the main website - the logs were visible in the ‘Activity Log’.

But now, we would like to better understand why one needs to force a refresh, for similar future cases.

This might be of importance to other’s out there, whom are struggling with finding out why there is no tracking present.

Does someone have experience with this particular problem? Who could shed some light on why we need to force a refresh?

Any clarification would be much appreciated!

Best,
ernie

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Why do we need to force a refresh, after user gives consent on cookie-banner, in order for the munchkin-tracking to work?

Really doesn't have anything to do with Munchkin. Rather, there's a mistake in the way you've configured your cookie opt-in logic. (What that exact mistake was I can't say, since your code isn't available.)

In a correct setup, you wait for the person to opt-in, then you remember their choice (using a special opt-in cookie expressly for this purpose) and, if applicable, run Munchkin.init() with the appropriate startup options. There's no need for a refresh.