SOLVED

Re: Whitelisting IP address

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whitelisting IP address

Are these all of the IP addresses that we need to whitelist? Is there any other ones we need to consider that might be country specific i.e for New Zealand?

If we use IP addresses in our Email
Whitelist, add the IPs listed below:

1. 199.15.212.0/24
  2. 199.15.213.0/24
  3. 199.15.214.0/24
  4. 199.15.215.0/24
  5. 192.28.146.0/24
  6. 192.28.147.0/24
  7. 94.236.119.0/26
  8. 37.188.97.188/32
  9. 185.28.196.0/24
  10. 103.237.104.0/24
  11. 103.237.105.0/24

Thanks Vibha.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think that's current, yes.  But what's your goal here?  Whitelisting IPs on your own mail server will mask delivery problems.  I really don't recommend that you do the whitelisting -- if your client has a customer who is willing to whitelist Marketo, that can be important.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman

I think that's current, yes.  But what's your goal here?  Whitelisting IPs on your own mail server will mask delivery problems.  I really don't recommend that you do the whitelisting -- if your client has a customer who is willing to whitelist Marketo, that can be important.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford for feedback.

Yes, we are setting up Marketo for a client, so in the setup process it says to whitelist these IP addresses. So was wondering if it covers all that we need or are their any country specific ones that we need to add. I am new to setting this up so wanted to make sure am doing it right.

SanfordWhiteman

Yeah, but I don't agree with that practice. To each her/his own I guess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh! please do advise me on any best practices that I should do to setup the IP addresses. Am learning as I go, so happy to get guidance and keen to make sure we get it right. Thank you.

SanfordWhiteman

It's kind of a binary choice:

[a] you want to ensure that all Marketo emails (from all Marketo customers, it should be noted) get to your Inbox for content/style verification, regardless of whether they get to your leads' Inboxes

or

[b] you want to be a test case for the so-called "inboxing" of your Marketo emails, so you pass them through your usual anti-spam filters to get advance warnings about the spamminess of either your content or your Marketo config/IP

If you know you have a deliberately draconian spam filter, but have good reason to believe that your leads will not, you may be stuck with whitelisting.  But if you believe that your company's filters and blacklist subscriptions are roughly industry-standard, IMO you're creating confusion by preemptively whitelisting Marketo.

Not to say that not whitelisting means you get a heads-up about everything that can go wrong, by any means!  But often your own system is the only representative system you've got, so use it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vibha,

You might have confused Sanford's reply about 'setting up for a client'. He is not talking about you (probably as a consulting firm) setting this up for a client (who uses Marketo to send emails).

He was talking about the 'client' meaning 'end customer company' (who will be receiving emails from your client's Marketo campaigns).

Sanford's points were,

1> If your client (who uses Marketo to send emails out), whitelists Marketo IPs in their network setup, they will always get (test) emails they will send to themselves. Even though the emails they are trying to send or IP address etc have issues. Thus they will not know if 'their actual audience' is not getting the emails delivered to them. They will be assuming that since they received emails fine, their target audience might have gotten them too.

He was suggesting that though often recommended, this is a side-effect that you will have to consider.

2> But let's say if one of the major customer of your client(who uses Marketo) is company XYZ. May be your client sends a lot of emails to thsi customer domain. if you are trying to get the IT admin at the company XYZ to add these IP addresses to their whitelist, then XYZ company will be able to get these emails with better deliverability.

He was suggesting that this is a good idea and best practice if applicable.

I worked on this kind of issue when we used Marketo for non-marketing / operational communication kind of workflows.

Regarding the country specific IP addresses, Marketo support would be the best source of this information.

Rajesh

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks Rajesh -- yeah, by "client" in my first post I meant "partner/customer/subscriber of company using Marketo" as opposed to "client of agency." Edited.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Rajesh and Sanford! Helpful info

Cheers Vibha.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone confirm if these are still the current shared IPs? Sanford Whiteman​?