Re: When setting fields as hidden does this keep them from appearing in API calls?

tmusante
Level 1

When setting fields as hidden does this keep them from appearing in API calls?

My developer has connected to Marketo via REST API - When we plug in the list of fields into the query to perform an export the fields that are set as Hidden cause an error during the call for query.  Any work around to make those fields available in the API?

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: When setting fields as hidden does this keep them from appearing in API calls?

How are you deriving the list of fields in the first place? Are you using the Describe Lead endpoint? There should not be a situation where you're trying to get fields you know in advance are hidden/nonexistent.

tmusante
Level 1

Using a list of fields downloaded via the UI and throwing it into an export query via the Rest API.  The odd part is that the hidden fields come thru on the list of fields in the list.

SanfordWhiteman

It's not that odd as the fields are still synced and are still visible in Field Management, even while hidden. The UI export reflects what you can see in the UI.

You should be using the Describe Lead API endpoint, which will not return hidden fields. It's specifically designed for this scenario; the UI export is not.

tmusante
Level 1

Thanks for that information - What if I wanted to return the hidden fields as in the data that was stored in those fields.

SanfordWhiteman

Then they can't be hidden. I mean, there has to be some utility to having hidden fields. Not seeing them in the UI or via API is what the setting is all about.

SanfordWhiteman

@tmusante please return to the thread and mark my answer as correct, thanks.