What Routine Methods Do You Use to Maintain and Update Bounced Email Addresses?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What Routine Methods Do You Use to Maintain and Update Bounced Email Addresses?

I'm wondering how other organizations handle the issue of bounced email addresses.  We've noticed a slightly higher than average soft bounce rate with our list, and I'm working with Marketo for potential issues on the IP side.  I have also set up a couple of smart campaigns to alert me when we have soft bounces, and also to suspend marketing if a lead hard bounces or soft bounces more than 4 times in a given period.  (I think Marketo is supposed to suspend marketing to hard bounces, but I have found it doesn't always work.)

So now I have a whole bunch of names and need to figure out the next step.

With the exception of an initial upload, we don't purchases lists or anything like that -- our leads either come in through the door or our website.  Our type of business lends itself to more one-on-one, in-person communication than most, but it's still quite overwhelming to assign a lot of resources to.  With some of our leads, our sales agents have a relationship with them and can ask for updates.  But because this is an ongoing maintenance issue, and the fact that we have several hundreds of leads that will be bouncing, what process has your organization found to make this a manageable and routine task?  Do you make 1-2 attempts to obtain an email address and then mark it as a lost casue?  Or do you just suspend bounced leads and not try?  

Any insight on what works for your organization would help me design what we should do for ours.  Thank you!
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: What Routine Methods Do You Use to Maintain and Update Bounced Email Addresses?

This should help you
http://www.slideshare.net/jdavidhill/marketo-email-reputation-management

I doubt soft bounces are a technical issue. It is often the audience and the quality of the list and timing of the send.