SOLVED

Re: What is the Operational?

Go to solution
KyokoKazama
Level 2

What is the Operational?

Here is a sample question of Program Fundamentals.

Q:What program type would you need to apply to a Marketo program containing your company's lead scoring rules?
A. Web form
B. Event
C. Smart program
D. Operational

The correct answer is D, but I don't know why.
What the Operatinal means in this case? 
The question sentence translated into Japanese is very strange.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi,

I can understand that automatic translation wouldn't help!

And the question shouldn't say "type," it should say "channel."

You can figure out that a scoring program best fits the Operational channel using 2 methods:

1. Direct reasoning.
    • Scoring doesn't directly involve marketing tasks (doesn't send emails/SMS/direct mail) even if it does take into account previous marketing responses.
    • Scoring doesn't have to be triggered; it can be based on a complex set of of disparate end user actions/attributes, processed via a scheduled batch. Because it might take into account form fillouts and event attendance, it isn't tied to either one.
    • Membership in a scoring program must not be considered in program success/ROI, and it doesn't involve costs. This is perhaps the most important factor.
    • Taken together, the above means scoring is closer to Operational than the other options. (However, my personal opinion is there should be a sub-channel like Operational ยป Scoring because it is different from purely Operational tasks like data cleansing.)
  2. Process of elimination.
    • Scoring can involve both forms and events, so it isn't a "Web Form" or "Event." 
    • And "Smart Program" isn't a well-known program channel.
    • So it has to be "Operational" if those are the choices. ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

KyokoKazama
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

I found a question here, but it seems to be updated at regular intervals.

https://marketingrobots.io/

Some questions have duplicate choices. Or the answer is clearly wrong.

I have doubts about taking the exam of MCE with translated questions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MitchellH
Level 2

Hi KyokoKazama,

The wording on that question is a little strange, even in English! "Operational" refers to the way you might file a scoring program (ie what folder you put it in), not the actual type of program (which I would say should be "default"). Some more information about organising programs is here: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Best+Practice%3A+How+to+Organize+your+Programs

Is that question wording exact? Where did you find it - a sample exam?

KyokoKazama
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

I found a question here, but it seems to be updated at regular intervals.

https://marketingrobots.io/

Some questions have duplicate choices. Or the answer is clearly wrong.

I have doubts about taking the exam of MCE with translated questions.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi,

I can understand that automatic translation wouldn't help!

And the question shouldn't say "type," it should say "channel."

You can figure out that a scoring program best fits the Operational channel using 2 methods:

1. Direct reasoning.
    • Scoring doesn't directly involve marketing tasks (doesn't send emails/SMS/direct mail) even if it does take into account previous marketing responses.
    • Scoring doesn't have to be triggered; it can be based on a complex set of of disparate end user actions/attributes, processed via a scheduled batch. Because it might take into account form fillouts and event attendance, it isn't tied to either one.
    • Membership in a scoring program must not be considered in program success/ROI, and it doesn't involve costs. This is perhaps the most important factor.
    • Taken together, the above means scoring is closer to Operational than the other options. (However, my personal opinion is there should be a sub-channel like Operational ยป Scoring because it is different from purely Operational tasks like data cleansing.)
  2. Process of elimination.
    • Scoring can involve both forms and events, so it isn't a "Web Form" or "Event." 
    • And "Smart Program" isn't a well-known program channel.
    • So it has to be "Operational" if those are the choices. ๐Ÿ™‚