SOLVED

What is the activity with primaryAttributeValue as 1) "[{'name': 'Client IP Address' and 2) "[{'name': 'Campaign Run ID' ?

Go to solution
Anurag
Level 2

What is the activity with primaryAttributeValue as 1) "[{'name': 'Client IP Address' and 2) "[{'name': 'Campaign Run ID' ?

"[{'name': 'Client IP Address' is present for multiple activity types, I noticed its presence in 'Fill Form' , 'Visit Webpage' and 'Open email'. The values for these are IP addresses of course.

"[{'name': 'Campaign Run ID'  is present for 'Open email' and 'Click Email'. The value for these are numbers which are different from campaign ID

May I please know what these mean? I'm guessing that IP addresses refer to the person visiting the webpage/email/form but why are the registered as separate activities? Similarly the Campaign run IDs are registered as separate activities and I'm not sure how to make sense of them. 

Basically, when these activities are registered, what do they say about what the user did?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: What is the activity with primaryAttributeValue as 1) "[{'name': 'Client IP Address' and 2) "[{'name': 'Campaign Run ID' ?

The activity type ID is 2, which means that this is a 'Form Fill' but there is no form name provided in primaryAttributeValue. What does a user do that causes this activity to be registered?

Maybe this is specific to my organisation and Marketo instance and I am only seeing this because someone has set it up this way?

Someone is incorrectly submitting Marketo forms without a form ID, probably by forging POSTs to the /save endpoint.

By default, Marketo will still accept those form posts, but it is not a good practice — also, the /save endpoint itself is deprecated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Re: What is the activity with primaryAttributeValue as 1) "[{'name': 'Client IP Address' and 2) "[{'name': 'Campaign Run ID' ?

May I please know what these mean? I'm guessing that IP addresses refer to the person visiting the webpage/email/form but why are the registered as separate activities

Because viewing a webpage, filling out a form, and opening an email (downloading the tracking pixel in an email client) are totally different activities. Don’t understand the question, really — how could they not be logged differently?

The Campaign Run ID relates to, well, the Smart Campaign run that related to the activitiy  (although it’s not actually unique).

Anurag
Level 2

As an example, please consider the following activity:

id marketoguid leadid activitydate activitytypeid campaignid primaryattributevalueid primaryattributevalue attributes
1130382506 1130382506 4131917 2020-11-01T02:33:02Z 2 1104.0 NaN "[{'name': 'Client IP Address' 'value': '111.111.111.111'}

(I've change the IP address in 'attributes' to hide actual value).

The activity type ID is 2, which means that this is a 'Form Fill' but there is no form name provided in primaryAttributeValue. What does a user do that causes this activity to be registered?

Maybe this is specific to my organisation and Marketo instance and I am only seeing this because someone has set it up this way?

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Someone is incorrectly submitting Marketo forms without a form ID, probably by forging POSTs to the /save endpoint.

By default, Marketo will still accept those form posts, but it is not a good practice — also, the /save endpoint itself is deprecated.

Anurag
Level 2

Got it! Thanks a ton!